Respitory issue on a new to my flock 6-7 month Hen :

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by motherhen11, Aug 24, 2016.

1. motherhen11

motherhen11 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2016
    Hello...How long do you treat w\Poly Vi sol vitamin?. My girl had a respitory problem, I believe. She was making noise and keeping her mouth open. I gave her the Polyvisol and she was
    better in just moments, seemed all better by the next day...eating and drinking w\no problem. That was 3 days ago that she was ill...going on the 4th day now. I gave her a lil' more of the vitamin yesterday 8\23\16. I've given her a bite of canteloup, some meal worms, and a treat mixture w\oats, meal worms, etc...She's eating just fine. And She's drinking plenty of water. I put electrolyte\Leo-biotic in her water.

I will continue to put some Pro biotic in her water.

I haven't given her anymore of the Vitamin this morning. So she's had 3 days of it. Should I continue to give her the vitamin?

She was also new to my flock as well as 3 others. Non of the others seem to have anything wrong. I isolated her-away from the rest of flock.

I think she was being picked on. Not sure when to reintroduce her to the flock again. Should I put her back in the run tonight. Or let her out to free range w\them today?

Any In put is much appreciated. Thank you much!

2. CochinLover1

CochinLover1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2015
    Ohio
    The average, "safe" Quarantine is 10 days. I highly recommend keeping her separated for 10 days to be sure. Respiratory diseases in flocks can be devastating. Keep treating her accordingly for these 10 days. Hope this helps an good luck!

3. motherhen11

Apr 15, 2016
    thank you for your advice.

I'm really not sure what was wrong w/her. I added her and 3 other new hens to our flock.i do know that she was getting chased around. I did't see anyone hurt her but saw them chasing her earlier that day. The next morning she was in the coop up top, standing there chirping, She was keeping her mouth open, shutting it a bit and opening it again. every now and then she would move her body/head, kind of like a jerking motion and let out a bit louder noise. She wouldn't eat or drink.

About a 30 to 40 minutes after checking on her, I picked her up, she felt really light and had nothing in her crop. I removed her from the coop.

I thought she was having respiratory issue. She immediately perked after I gave her the vitamin.

I think she was getting ran around and had a tough time getting food and water. Which may have made her dehydrated.

She's completely away from the others for 4 days. She is eating like a champ, moving around like a champ and drinking plenty.

I'm affraid to wait too long to reintroduce her to the flock?

4. motherhen11

Apr 15, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by