Respitory issue

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rockyroost, Jun 28, 2016.

1. rockyroost

rockyroost New Egg

May 13, 2015
    [​IMG]
    Hi All,

I'm hoping someone can help /advise.
    Over the last year I have lost a couple of chickens to a strange illness.

Symptoms:

Tired
    Weak
    Lethargic
    Lying down a lot
    Breathing issue
    Hunched with ruffled feathers

Unfortunately one girl died the other day in my arms and others are showing symptoms.
    Please can someone advise? The latest one had weird yellow stuff coming out of her beak before and when she died?

Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  2. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    If a vet is not an option. There could be an impacted crop or it could be a myoplasm bacteria or something infectioous. Quarantine the ones having symptoms and clean the coop with bleach. and sprinkle with de.
    I have heard rooster booster is great for infectious disease or a terramycin treatment. You should be able to buy these at tractor and supply or where you get your feed. I also would try a de or diametomaceous earth in your feed as well.
    How is your flock eating? Are they eating normal or not eating much?

3. ambergds

ambergds Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2016
    Utah
    Can you take a stool sample to a vet for a fecal float test?

4. rockyroost

rockyroost New Egg

May 13, 2015
    Hi Equine Chick and Ambergds,

Thank you both for your replies.

I have recently used Diatomous earth due to red mite, but given the delicate nature of their respiratory issues I have decided to withdraw this.
    I have had other chickens die from the same symptoms of tiredness, but without the breathing issues. They all however when ill exhibit the same symptom of one or both eyes closed and hunched over or led down as if they are cold.

I have regularly given the flock Verm-X and apple cider vinegar, and now I am working with Flubenvet layers pellets.
    The birds eat right up until they do not have the strength to open their eyes or move.
    Unfortunately we did have a fox problem a couple of weeks ago which has probably not helped with stress, today I will also add some poultry tonic to their water which i'm hoping might perk them up a little.

I have taken one Chicken to the vet recently (Clucky) with the same symptoms. She was prescribed Baytril for 7 days which I couldn't see any improvement, but somehow she survived so it must have helped.
    The downside of the antibiotics is not being able to eat the eggs, but really i'm more concerned about the animals themselves and giving them the best quality of life.
    The vet doesn't seem to have an idea of what the issue is, and after spending £70 id struggle to afford to go back....
    It seems that the answer is, pump it pull of pain killers and antibiotics and hopefully things will get better.
    I guess i could try the stool sample and hopefully this will find whats going on.

Thank you both for taking the time to reply to my post :)

5. ambergds

ambergds Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2016
    Utah
    It sounds like it is a respiratory virus possibly. Antibiotics won't treat the virus but they will treat any secondary bacteria infections. The only way to know for sure what virus you are dealing with is to send a bird to your state lab for a necropsy.
    Hopefully this clears up and you don't lose anymore!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by