Respitory medicine?(Help!)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bledsoe95, Jan 16, 2011.

1. bledsoe95

bledsoe95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2011
    Oakwood, Virginia
    My chickens have colds & i was wondering what type of medicine I can give them & still eat the eggs?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  2. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Chickens don't get "colds." There are many respiratory diseases the do get and many of them can be fatal and cause the surviving chickens to be carriers of the disease and able to infect other birds. Do a search for respiratory illness and you will find a lot of information. You also might want to answer the questions at the top of the forum about their symptoms and maybe others can help you figure out what is wrong. There is a sticky at the top of the Emergencies forum. So sorry your birds are sick. Good luck to you.

Mary

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2011
  3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:The Warden is correct. Try to answer these questions and we will try to help. Please don't give human medicine to avians unless it's approved by an avian vet!

The questions link:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3569

And with respiratory issues you need to be sure to note every detail, including any smell in the coop or from the chicken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by