Respitory problem

feathersnmore

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jun 14, 2007
Most of you prob. know about the lost chickens, well i had them on pedialyte and now i have them on Terramycin ( can i mix pedialyte and terramycin?) I am pretty sure they are having a respitory thing a little sneazing stretching neck with mouth open and some discharge caking up over the nostrils. Is there anything else anyone could recomend? I would greatly apreciate it! Oh their poo is fine.

Hi there, so sorry you lost some chickens, I may have missed that post.
First off how old are you birds & are they standards or banty's?
I don't know about mixing the pedalite & terrimycain.
I have used Vet Rx for poultry,it's all natural.You can put it in their water or on the birds' wattles & nostrils. Your feed store may carry it.
Here's a link from Jeffers Livestock, they have alot of poultry stuff & good prices. http://www.jefferslivestock.com/ssc...=BWHGN743T00D9J87MNTFTKJHQXQSEJV4&pf_id=16803
Here's another medication, Tylan 50 ( injectable) , it's an antibotic.I have used it in bad respitory infections, now this is off label use, they use it for cows or something.If they are hens you need to toss the eggs for a couple of weeks. This link is to the chicken doctor's website for the Tylan they give you instructions & very helpful folks. ( oh yeah they are a little pricey) I think Jeffer's has Tylan 50 as well. http://www.firststatevetsupply.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=109
I hope your chickens get better soon
smile.png

Miriam

Hi Miriam,

I may have worded it wrong, they were lost in the mail none passed away, and i am going to try my darndest that they do not with all they have been thru.

they are 3 bantams ranging from ages 3 mo. to 6 mo. i will definatly look into the meds and go get them in the morn. thank you very much!

Oh sorry, sometimes it's hard getting around to read all the posts,my bad.
If they are bantys, the dose of the tylan would be smaller.I'm not sure how much, but for a standard chicken it's 1/2 cc in the back of the neck. Just make sure you get the smallest size needle they have(a diabetic needle is a good size)
Good luck, sounds like they have had a rough start hoping they get better.
smile.png

Miriam

Back
Top Bottom