Respitory problems?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by a123andpoof, Feb 5, 2012.

1. a123andpoof

a123andpoof Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Okay so being that we have had a very funky winter I am having problems. my waterer is all bent up and water was spilling onto the floor then freezing right away. I figured out how to deal with that, but now my floors are wet, and it's messing with the chickens. I am hearing a lot of sneezing and weezing. I will be getting new bedding tomorrow and weather permitting I will be doing a full coop cleaning the best I can. But it somehow the next day manages to get wet. What can I give the chickens so they feel better? Like I said sneezing it seems like a respitory problem.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  2. a123andpoof

Mar 17, 2011
    nothing?

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    First of all, consider purchasing a heated waterer, I dont know anything about them. It rarely gets that cold here where I live.
    Could there be something environmental inside your coop causing the symptoms you described? For example; soiled bedding emitting ammonia fumes, improper ventilation, dust in bedding, or mold/fungus. You need to keep your coop as dry as possible.
    Otherwise it could be a respiratory disease if it's not an environmental issue. It could be coryza if there's a foul odor around their head area. It could be mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG.)
    I would bet it's an environmental problem which can be corrected or eliminated. Here's a link to respiratory diseases, you can scroll down to the diseases I mentioned and read about them. Keep in mind there are usually other symptoms with both diseases and they are both contageous to other birds.
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

4. a123andpoof

Mar 17, 2011
    Its enviromental. So would just keeping the coop very clean eliminate the problem? I do have a heater for the water, but with how banged up the water is and the fact the coop is at a slant so the waterer spills water out. It's a pain. I finally took it off the heater, and put it in something so water wouldn't spill out. I do try to keep it dry, but as mentioned above it is very difficult and sometimes near impossible. I will get them a new waterer as soon as possible, but haven't been able to afford it.

5. a123andpoof

Mar 17, 2011
    Also there bedding is wet, just cleaned it like a week and a half ago. But when I go to clean I find it is frozen. Now it isn't frozen so will clean it tomorrow when I get bedding.

6. a123andpoof

Mar 17, 2011
    Just thought I should add that they all act totally normal except for the sneezing and slight weezing. They are still active.

7. Elko Stacy

Elko Stacy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2012
    Elko NV
    My knee jerk response would be to start putting tetracycline hyd. in their water.it's cheap, you can get it at the ranch store..I mix up a gallon at a time..see if that helps? Where are you? is it severely cold or mild?

8. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs

Is this what you are talking about: http://www.tractorsupply.com/durvet-reg-duramycin-10-6-2-5-oz--2206034

9. Elko Stacy

Elko Stacy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2012
    Elko NV
    the stuff I get is a yellow powder in a foil pouch type container..aprox 1 Tablespoon gallon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by