respratory infection in 4 wk old advice??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sunket77, Jan 19, 2010.

1. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    I can't get to the vet anytime soon (transportation problem!) She is sneezing and has a crinkle sound when she breaths. This has been going on for a while and I have given her tetracycline hydrochloride for one week, yogurt, oatmeal, and scrambled eggs. Her condition doesn't seem to be improving or getting worse (guess that part is good). She seems week and sits there all fluffed up. I keep hoping for her to go one way or the other but she just stays the same. Is there anything else I can due accept a trip to the vet? I can't drive and my husband has a crazy work schedule. She obviously is struggling when she breathes, she moves her whole body. She has moments when she gets active and runs around the cage. Is there anything I can get someone to pick up at the feed store? THANKS!!!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  2. clkingtx

clkingtx Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2009
    Sunket- if you have been giving her an antibiotic for a week, and she is no better, she is not responding to the antibiotic. If you are giving her the correct dosage of antibiotic, what she has is probably resistant to it, which means she needs a different antibiotic. I have read many posts about antibiotic use in chickens, but I don't remember what other antibiotics are used. I would just think that if what you were doing were working, you would see an improvement by now. Hopefully someone with experience in this will post and have more useful information for you.

Carrie

3. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    clkingtx- thanks for that.. I had not thought of that! The first feed bag I had was medicated feed. This was not what I wanted but the only thing the feed store at the time had. So I had to go through the whole bag. This may be what the problem is. I am not sure if the local stores offer anything else. I probably need to figure a way to bring her to the vet.

4. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    There's also the possibility of fungal or viral infection -- neither of which antibiotics will do any good for. I agree with clkingtx, if the antibiotic isn't doing anything by now, it's not going to (and that's the truth no matter what your species!). Take her off it to cut the collateral damage, no sense in killing the good bacteria.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by