Respritory Disease??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by salt and pepper, Mar 19, 2013.

1. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

My rooster always breathes heavily when I pick him up, and I noticed today he had slightly crusty eyes. My flock has sneezed for 6 months, and have been fine. I cleaned his eyes out to see if it would return. I thought his nose was runny too, but it was just water. One other hen has a TINY amount of crust in her eye. Should I treat, or let them be? Also, if I treat, is there a with drawl period, will it hurt my family if we eat these eggs? Thank you!

2. salt and pepper

any one??? his eyes aren't crusty anymore, but he's still has a slight weeze, it's hardly noticeable. I just don't want to lose him =(

3. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Without knowing which respiratory thing it is, whether it's viral or bacterial, the only thing you can do with the exception of vetenary help is to treat with antibiotics. The type that goes into the water, available at farm/feed stores. There is an egg withdrawal with that, for the duration of use. 10 days for treatment.

If it returns after treatment, it was viral, or something in their environment. Antibiotics will mask the symptoms but will not kill the virus. If it does not return, it was bacterial and the antibiotics did their job. Treat the whole flock, so that they are not swapping it back and forth to each other. Disinfect all drinkers and supplies regularly. Don't let poo build up. Keep things clean, and dry.

If the coop area is especially dusty, you'll want to get that under control as well. Switch bedding types if needed.

Chickens are still birds, and birds are really sensitive. Dust, high humidity, common bacterial infections and the like.. runny noses could be about anything. The first sign of something serious, or a reaction to their environment. Cedar shavings would set them off as well, as it's really harmful to the respiratory tracts of birds and other animals.

Luckily antibiotics have cleared up any runny noses I've encountered. Haven't had anything more serious than that so far. I hope the same for you!

4. salt and pepper

Thank you, I'm hesitant to treat with such small symptoms, as I don't want to treat if it was nothing. I'll keep an eye on the birds, and if it gets worse, I'll treat. I have the stuff on hand, so that's not a problem, We've had wacky weather this year, so hopefully he can fight it himself. Thank you for your advice!

5. salt and pepper

I just noticed today that his nose is a LOT smaller than the rest of the chickens, could this cause the louder breathing?

6. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    What do you mean smaller? Sometimes clogged nostrils will look smaller than they really are. See if they're gunked up. If so, smell for an odor. If there is a smell to the gunk it's for sure an upper respiratory infection.

The discharge can collect dust, which darkens the color. Then it hardens and dries, and can look like part of the nostril. Be sure that isn't the case. A moistened Q-tip would work, squeeze it so that it isn't wet enough to drip into his nose.

7. salt and pepper

No, his nostril is just small. He did have some dirt around it, and I cleaned it off. I'm wondering if because his nose is smaller, stuff get's stuck up there more easily, which would cause the random weezing. (he stopped, but I'm not sure if it will come back) Is a little crust normal? I know my eyes get crusty in the morning.

8. salt and pepper

It doesn't stink, I'll clean his nose out completely, and see what happens... thank you for your help, I'll keep you updated

9. Chickawawa

Chickawawa Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2012
    Tawawa, Ohio
    I'm going to pop in here because I'm not sure where else to post here. Hoping someone can help my pullet. As you can see her eye is terribly swollen. She has some discharge from eye and nostrils and is making that weird sneeze/cough sound. Started her on Aureomycin crumbles last night as well as some Vetrx in her nostrils. Nothing has helped so far.

Any ideas on what this is and treatment would be greatly appreciated. We are not quite at our first full year with chickens and this has been the worst ailment we've come across
    .[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by