Respritory Infection?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gmayberry, Oct 20, 2011.

1. gmayberry

gmayberry Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2011
    I am adding a new hen to my flock. I am currently keeping her in a cage seperate from the rest so as to introduce her to the flock slowly and with the least amount of stress to all. I have noticed that she has a sneeze / sniffle with just a bit of clear drainage from her nose. She will sneeze and swallow. Other than that she eats and drinks well and is as active as she can be in a cage, preening etc. Is this cause for major concern? I have thought maybe some Terramycin to clear it up. Any suggestions?

2. tyler2740

tyler2740 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2011
    small town
    I use a product called PetRx. It smells like a vapor rub that me and you would use. You just rub it on their comb and under their wings and it clears up after a few days.

3. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Terramycin is worthless. Throw it out.

VetRx or as you called yours PetRx is not a medicine and will help with the occasional sniffel.

Respitory infections must be watched closely. If you are seeing the signs of CRD which is everywhere then on Baytril will work. You'll need to get it through a vet. Just ast one for a prescription if they don't have any on hand.

If you see bubbles in one eye/ face swelling/ foul odour then kill it immediately and bury or burn it. Then sit back and watch out.

Again, watch things closely; respitory infections are the bane of poultry: very dangerous. The occassional sneeze is one thing, a rattle or raspy sound is something else.

4. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Bluntly, get rid of her ASAP and clean everything down. The whole point of quarantine is to prevent spread of diseases to your flock. Even if you treat the new potentially sick bird it may remain infectious for months or longer.

If you put this new chicken into your flock quarantine will be pointless.

5. saladin

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Quote:You better listen to this advice.

6. chickchicks

chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    warrington uk
    Quote:hello hoping to but in here

i have two at the moment that have clear runny nosesNOTHING ELSE no swelling no raspy noises, they have clear chest sounds and eat drink clean etc all normally .
    its only a runny nose and the odd sneeze to clear the passage ways - what would be best to use as I am new I thought the acv with multi nutients and vitamins boosts would help OBVIOUSLY NOT !!!
    anything would be appreciated. as i want to give it a try first as they are in no pain and not suffereing in any way to see just the runny nose !
    also i have no vet as they do not look at chickens where i live they said they could look but do nothing else !

7. Clay Valley Farmer

Sep 7, 2010
    Is having this new but potentially sick hen worth the health of the rest of your flock?[​IMG]

8. saladin

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    In your case, i think I would try getting Baytril.

1 oz of Bleach added to 1 gallon of drinking water will help eliminate the spread of the infection.

9. saladin

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Quote:different poster I think cvf. which is why I gave an answer other than your own sound advice.

10. Clay Valley Farmer

Sep 7, 2010
    Ah, oops I see now. Different circunstances there.

Intersting on the Baytril, a couple schools of thought, some see it as a cure, others don't, some think of it better to avoid and breed for increased natural resistances to CRD.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by