Rest at home or tough it out? [Sick question]

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by equinehugger3, Nov 7, 2011.

1. equinehugger3

equinehugger3 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2010
    Last night (Sunday), my throat was KILLING me. I took a nighttime painkiller and it seemed to go away, but I still felt a bit feverish. Just a little.
    This morning, I woke up with a terrible throat ache. I took a regular painkiller, and I seem to be fine, besides this dull ache. I'm pretty sure that appeared because I'm thinking about it, though. I usually get strep about twice a year, always once. I usually have viral infections at least 2 times. I haven't had anyone see if I have white spots on my tonsils. I've also been coughing violently the past two weeks. The kind where it feels like there's gunk in your chest, and where you have to double over sometimes because it hurts so bad. I know I should go to urgent care, but the problem is, I've missed two days of school already, two being Mondays. My parents, not to mention teachers, probably think I have a thing for skipping Mondays, or I'm just a big faker. [​IMG] I really don't want more make up work, not to mention ticking off my mom. She only takes like one sick day, if any, a year. Needless to say, she's the "tough-it-out" kind.

Do you guys think I should stay home and go to urgent care, or tough it out and see how I feel?

[​IMG] Strange question, I know. [​IMG] You guys just usually give me the best advice.
    Thank you!

2. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    If my kids are running a fever, I keep them home. If they just feel bad, I usually send them and let them know to call me if they really NEED to come home. I guess it really depends on how you feel.

3. equinehugger3

Apr 14, 2010
    Quote:Too bad my parents aren't like that. They're the sickness Nazis. [​IMG] [​IMG] I suppose they just don't want us to fake, but I'm not exactly the type to do that. My dad, in his distracted voice, just mumbled, "Huh?! Oh, yeah, it stinks for all of us..." [​IMG]

Oh, how I hope this isn't strep. I heard that's dangerous untreated. [​IMG] Thank you for answering, though. [​IMG] Perhaps I'll try the dreaded school nurse. [​IMG]

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Strep does at times have serious complications if untreated so I would definitely go the school nurse route, or another health care provider.

5. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

My mother is also the tough-it-out kind. Actually, she's the "don't take the attention off me, I'm sicker than you" kind so she also always believed I was faking. Or she would play it down to nothing.
    She got herself a tough lesson learned many times because she would play down something that ended up being very serious.
    So I'll give my piece... If you believe you are sick and shouldn't be passing it around to others' then stay home and go get the care you need.
    [​IMG] Feel better soon.

6. equinehugger3

Apr 14, 2010
    [​IMG] Thanks to both of you. [​IMG] I think I'm going to tough out first hour (Which, sadly, turns out to be gym), and head to the school nurse, or wait until fourth hour to go. Ugh, this is going to be fun. [​IMG]

7. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    Do everyone around you a favor, and don't tough it out. During my working career, and as a parent I hate the tough it out crowd. They bring their nasty bugs to the workplace or to the school because they think whatever is going on is too important to miss. Most of us don't have jobs or classes that can't be missed for a few days due to illness.

Baby yourself, get better, and don't be a walking pest house.

8. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I would go to the doctor. If you feel that terrible, there is no sense in waiting it out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by