Rest In Peace Ellie

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by rebecca10782, Jan 28, 2009.

1. rebecca10782

rebecca10782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    My favorite hen passed away recently. She was the sweetest creature, the only hen that would cuddle with me. She came in the house every night and would roost on the back of the chair while I petted her head and gave her treats, then fall asleep. She was so tame. One night she was sitting on the seat of the chair and our Golden Retriever walked by with his mile long, constantly wagging tail, knocked her across the room! She squawked, stood stunned for a second and then shook it off. Poor Ellie [​IMG] Instead of clucking, she always quacked. It was the funniest thing. She was the pic-of-the-week a few months ago. I will miss her always.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  2. sussexgal

sussexgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Ohhh! Rebecca... so sorry to hear about Ellie... [​IMG]

3. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i'm so sorry. She was a beautiful girl. And you can tell by the pictures she was a sweety. Sounds like you gave her a great life.

4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I'm so sorry Rebecca [​IMG]
    What an exquisitely beautiful feathered soul - I hope she somehow went easily. RIP Ellie.
    JJ

5. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Oh, I'm sorry for your loss. What breed was she? She's stunning!

6. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

So sorry, she was a beauty..

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'm so sorry she's gone. What a sweet girl!

8. rebecca10782

Apr 24, 2008
    Thank you everyone. She was the sweetest bird. She and her sisters were actually very untamed until everyone was killed except her. I took her in the house every night to hang out with the family so she would not be lonely in the coupe. After that she was so tame, I could walk up behind her and pick her up without scaring her. We got five more babies as soon as we could and she wasn't very happy about it at first [​IMG] I guess she liked getting all the attention [​IMG] But they became friends and everything was back to normal. Then I noticed Ellie was acting a little too calm. So we took her to the vet and were told that she was very underweight and there wasn't any hope for her. So, we decided to let her go naturally. I held her for awhile and then put her into bed by herself so she could go peacefully. When I found her, I held her and cried for about an hour. I wish someone warned me that they become ill very easily before we got chickens. I swear we give our birds the best life. We give them the best organic feed along with whole oatmeal with tons of nutritious stuff in it. They get all kinds of worms and crickets. They are the most spoiled chickens on earth [​IMG] They roam the completely closed in backyard all day and are locked up in a secure coupe at night. But in a year of having chickens 8 have died in these fluke circumstances.

9. rebecca10782

Apr 24, 2008
    Quote:She was a Brabanter. She was supposed to have a mohawk, but all she had was a little cowlick [​IMG] She was such a character, as you can see from the pictures.

10. wingnut1

wingnut1 Crazy Bird Lady

What a beautiful hen - it sounds like she was a very sweet and special pet - so sorry for your loss! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by