1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rest in Peace Fluffers, One of my first Chickens and Beloved Pet.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by ChickenPeep, Feb 19, 2014.

1. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    I have been dreading writing a post like this, and hoped I wouldn't have to for several years.
    2 weeks ago, Fluffer- Nugget, my RSL hen was found laying on her side in the coop. We immediately knew something was wring and brought her home to take care of her. I syringe fed and watered her every day. I tried so hard and did everything in my power to save her, but she just couldn't recover. I risked failing tests and not finishing my homework because I was working so hard for so long to help her. Last Wednesday, I could tell she was fading. I spent the last few days with her sitting snuggled in my lap, propped up on my leg because she couldn't even keep her balance while she was sitting. Although her body seemed to fail her, one thing that never changed was her eyes. They stayed that beautiful orange and stayed clear and bright the whole time. Several times she looked up at me, just looked me straight in the eye and stared. I think she knew what was happening. I told her how much I loved her and how much joy she brought me. I don't know if she understood, but it was important for me to say. I'm so glad I got to spend those last few days with her. Friday morning she passed.

Fluffers was one of my first chickens. She and her siblings were the reason that I joined BYC. She lived to be 4 years old, which I think is a decent life. She was a faithful egg layer and laid all throughout the winter, although sparingly, and even laid up to the last few weeks of her life. I will always be able to hear that sad whining sound that she would make when we put her and the others in for the night. She was she smallest and lightest of my girls, but she stood her ground and didn't get pushed around. I will always remember how she was so good at flying and would fly up on top of the coop and anywhere that pleased her. She was the sweetest of our girls and would perch happily on your arm. She was a blue ribbon award winner both for beauty and showing. She had the prettiest highlights all over her feathers that none of my other girls had. I hope that she had a good 4 years with us and enjoyed it as much as I did.

I hope that during her sickness she didn't feel much pain. Regardless, she is at peace now. I know that many people say that she was just a chicken, but I believe that God keeps a special place in heaven for all his beloved animals. [​IMG]

See you later, Fluffers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. She is lovely. So sorry for your loss [​IMG] I am sad to hear she passed away [​IMG]

3. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i went through the same thing as you not to long ago. i was on here talking as she died in my arms. it was just awful.i balled like a baby. my post is here somewhere but i dont remember the name of it. this was the best place to be because we do understand and i am so sorry for your loss.[​IMG]

4. Chickie Momma

Chickie Momma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    Douglasville, Georgia
    @ChickenPeep: so sorry about fluffers. She was a beautiful girl and lived a full life. I belive as you do that there is a place in heaven for our beloved pets. I just went through much of the same...last night.

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Fluffers is beautiful. I'm so sorry about her passing. [​IMG] You have wonderful memories of your precious girl. I believe like you, God has a special place for all his creatures. I too, lost my favorite girl, Blossom, today. And, I like you hope she didn't suffer. I did the same things you did too. I knew that it wouldn't be long. It still hurts. My baby was 5 years old. Yes, I think they lived a good life. Very well loved. Just keep Fluffers in your heart, she will always be close.

6. Chickie Momma

Chickie Momma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    Douglasville, Georgia
    :hugs to you too b. They are all sqawkin up a storm and sunning themselves.... Marilyn will be in the flowers diggin :):)

7. TaysBantamBunch

TaysBantamBunch Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2014
    Victoria, Australia
    There is no such thing as "just a chicken" they are all smart and beautiful in their individual ways. Fluffers was absolutely beautiful,im sorry for your loss,

1 person likes this.
  8. chickencoop789

chickencoop789 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2012
    New Jersey
    I completely agree. There is no such thing as "just a chicken." Im so sorry.

1 person likes this.
  9. MaddiesMum

MaddiesMum Chillin' With My Peeps

She's beautiful, sorry for your loss [​IMG]

10. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I'm so sorry for your loss. She was beautiful. I think she knew how much she was loved.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by