Rest In Peace Momma Hen.....

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Guinea Goonie, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Today I came home to a hawk feisting on my VERY favorite mother hen, a wild hen I have had for a few year that I hatched from an egg.

I am so very upset about this. She leave her three babies (the ones that survived), two others were taken by a hawk a few weeks ago.

I just can't understand why she wouldn't know better after the other two attacks.

I am just heartbroken. [​IMG]

2. SurprisingWoman

SurprisingWoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    South Weber, UT
    I am very sorry for your loss but...

Quote:It wasn't her job to learn from that.... it was yours.

Sounds like you need to do some rethinking of your predator proofing.

3. Bizzybirdy

Bizzybirdy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    North of Nashville
    If a hawk, probably the same one, got her babies a few weeks ago...why was she not put up in a safe place?? [​IMG]

A hen cannot protect itself from a hawk or any other predator. It is up to us humans to do that. Hope you put her remaining chicks up.

4. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    I'm sorry you lost your hen - it does seem to always be our favorites... [​IMG]

5. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Did you see she said wild hen? I think she is a free ranging girl. I think you guys are being mean. She's sad and needs support not harsh words! Have some heart.

I'm sorry you lost your hen, I imagine that's got to be hard and very sad. [​IMG]

6. CheerfulHeart2

CheerfulHeart2 Creative Problem Solver

Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Oh dear, so sorry. [​IMG] It hurts to lose them, especially our favorites. Sending hugs your way.

7. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Quote:Yes, I agree. Maybe keep her chicks in an enclosed area, so no more hawks can get them. Best of luck to you. [​IMG]

8. Oh, she had plenty of cover. Her little house, the nursery, which is a 16x8 portable building off the ground, a 6x10 trailer and of course the Guineas. The nursery was open and her and the babies were in it.

She had cover NOT more than 5 feet from were I found her. Remember she is a Free range hen and one that is very unhappy when cooped up.

This is a very smart hawk, one that I have been keeping an eye on for weeks. I have lost a polish baby hen, a big white rock, two of my hens babies and now my hen.

I have gone over board and kept the chickens in for days. The hen in her little house with her babies for DAYS.

I have warned off the hawk and I am constantly on the look out for HIM.

Today I had to go to town and the mother hen and her babies were UNDER the portable building.

For those of you that can put your chickens in a run and cover them, all the power to you. I can not afford, nor wish to confine my flock to a run. They would destroy both the run and themselves in a matter of days.

My chickens have a HUGE barn to run to, covered areas all over the property and 32 Guineas to alert to the hawks.

I have 10 BIG roosters that would lay their lives down for their hens.

My chickens are Spoiled beyond belief.

I am simply heartbroken. I do not need a lesson in chicken management.

9. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I'm so sorry for your loss! She was probably trying to protect her babies, mommas will do that! Treasure those she left behind and keep them safe.

10. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Quote:This is probably exactly what happened. So sorry for your loss. I've lost two birds in 6 months to two different types of hawks- Cooper's and red-tailed. One hen was free-ranging, but my duck was well-protected and she still got nabbed. Don't beat yourself up. It happens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by