1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rest in peace Rosie

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by AccioSarah, Oct 6, 2010.

1. AccioSarah

AccioSarah Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    San Juan, Puerto Rico
    Today I'm here with very sad news... my lovely girl Rosie passed away this morning from unknown causes.
    My mom called me this morning to tell me what happened.
    She was apparently lethargic yesterday, because when they let the flock out to graze in the yard she didn't want to follow. My mom immediately came on the forum to see if anyone knew what was wrong or if there were any previous postings about this kind of behavior. When she didn't find anything, they called a couple of veterinarian, who were all already home for the day. My sister remembered me saying that sometimes the lowest in the flock won't get as much food, so they put her in the temporary coop I made last weekend with extra food, heat, water and love. This morning they went to check on her, and she had already passed away in the night.
    They didn't call me yesterday, they knew it would just worry me when I couldn't drive home to help (I'm away at college).

I'm absolutely devastated. I love all my Chickens, but Rosie was such a sweet girl...
    If anyone knows anything about what this could have been- it would be a real comfort. I just hope it isn't something the rest of the flock could catch...

This is the last picture I got of her.

[​IMG]

2. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    I'm so sorry. [​IMG]

3. Ravishaw

Ravishaw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    Looks like a mighty fine Rhodie. I can see why you would call her Rosie.

4. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    So sorry to hear that - she was a beautiful bird. I am newer to chickens but have a good friend who has had them forever and has very healthy beautiful birds. He tells me sometimes you will lose one to a "mystery " issue and actually i have read that in other places - not that this makes your loss anybetter - but ...

5. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Oh, I am so sorry (((hugs))))

6. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    So very sorry for your loss of Rosie. Wishing you the best memories of her...she was obviously well loved and cared for...and that's all a chicken can ever want.

7. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    It must be hard not being able to be there with your birds. I wish we could help. Sorry about poor Rosie.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by