Rest In Peace Sweet Bonnie Girl We Love and Will miss you immensely :(

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by kelseygirl707, Jul 7, 2011.

1. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Today our ranch hand found our Sweet Bonnie Girl in the pasture, under our Huge old Oak, where she passed away. Bonnie was our BEAUTIFUL shire, with the best personality, truly a gentle giant. We are not sure what killed her yet, we will look into a Necropsy tomorrow, she was only 15, so she still had a lot of life left. We think she may have gotten bitten by a rattle snake, as they are bad around here this time of year. She was my MIL's horse, so she is Devestated, and I feel soo bad for her. I think she feels guilty she wasn't here, today she and I were out all day at an Agritourism clinic, where we bragged about her all day, only to get a call on our way home from FIL, saying our ranch hand had been trying to call us all day, and that Bonnie had passed.

So Rest in peace sweet girl, thank you for so many wonderful years.

She's all dirty in this picture from rollin in the dirt, but you get the Idea of her beauty.
    [​IMG]

2. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    She truly was beautiful!
    [​IMG]

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I'm so sorry Kelsey!!! [​IMG] Snakes have been getting my birds here too.

4. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    I'm so sorry [​IMG] I lost a horse several years ago and it was so devastating. At least you know she is in peace now and that she lived a wonderful life with people who loved her. [​IMG]

5. ~Wind~

~Wind~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Sorry for your loss, sounds like she was a beautiful soul [​IMG]

6. Redyre Rotties

Redyre Rotties Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    So sorry for your loss. She was lovely.

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Kelsey honey, I am soo sorry. I just read your post on the other side, and I just have no words. I really hope the necropsy gives you answers. Snakes ARE bad this year.

8. 4Hchickenproject

4Hchickenproject Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    [​IMG]

9. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I'm so very sorry. [​IMG] [​IMG] She was most beautiful. [​IMG]

10. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Thanks Guys. We are almost sure it was a rattle snake. Her body had been laying in the heat all day before we found her, so she is very very swollen with gasses, but her mouth has blood on it, and it is extremley swollen, so we believe she was bit in the mouth. It's killing me knowing she was out there dying and we didn't know. At one point my MIL looked out the window and saw Van (Our Quarter Horse who was Bonnies shadow) running back and forth in the pasture, which he doesn't do, as he is old and lazy, so it was strange, but MIL just thought something spooked him. Then last night I noticed Van in the middle of the pasture which is unusual, as they like to stay in the shade of the oaks by the house, but I didn't think much of it, just made a note that he was getting fat, and we needed to bring him in. So poor Van was there with her while she passed, which makes me feel better that she didn't die alone, but makes me feel horrible that Van was there and helpless to save her, he ADORED her. Bonnie won't be barried until tomorrow, as my FIL is away on business until tomorrow, so it kills me that her body is out in the pasture where animals will surely get to her tonight. And I keep going back to Van, he is devestated, he is in her stall tonight, and just looks soo sad. He is old to begin with, so I wouldn't be surprised if he passed soon too, kinda like how true loves often die within a year of eachother.

Oh and MIL feels horribly guilty as she was looking to purchase another horse, and kept saying how much Bonnie would hate it if she brought home another horse.

And I know it's horrible of me, but I keep thinking, With 15 boarder horses on this ranch, why did it have to happen to our bonnie girl?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by