Rest in Peace, sweet Twiggy, and thanks for the beautiful eggs

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Dora'smom, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    Our Welsummer, Twiggy who was about 13 months old, went to chicken heaven tonight. She had been suffering from internal laying, and despite the best care we knew how to give, was not rallying this time. I eased her way out of this life tonight, by myself, as my husband has been deeply grieving his father's death, and I did not want to cause him more pain. I've never done this before, but was raised on a small farm, and was around when chickens were culled when I was a young child. I used this site as a reference to know what to do, and I thank all of you for your honesty in describing methods, and the debates over which was more humane. In the end, I chose a method, and though I didn't do it as well as I would have liked, I was successful, and she is no longer in pain. She's now basking in the sun, and comfortable, in a place where they never, ever run out of raisins. Thank-you for being here for Twiggy and I. [​IMG]

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    So sorry for your loss. Not that this helps, but you saved her from a drawn out and painful death. Culling is awful even when it's necessary.

3. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] I'm so sorry [​IMG]

JJ

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Sorry for your loss, I wish you and your family the best.

5. journey11

journey11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    WV
    Aww.. [​IMG]

Internal laying is such a frustrating problem and so hard to fix. You did your best and what was best for her. I know that's hard to do, but it's worse to watch them suffer.

6. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I am so, so sorry for your loss

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG] So sorry...

8. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

You stepped up and did what you had to do... so, so sorry...

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    I'm so sorry. I know I'm feeling bad about putting our rooster down this week and he's the Cujo of the chicken world. I can't imagine having to put down one I cared so much about. At least you can have some comfort knowing she's no longer in pain. *hug*

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I'm so sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by