Resting eggs before starting incubation

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SportChick, May 12, 2010.

1. SportChick

SportChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Louisiana
    I am a little late getting started but none the less, my eggs arrive in the mail next week. The company that is shipping sent an information sheet that suggesting keeping the eggs at 50-60 degrees for 24 hours before putting them in the incubator. I live in Louisiana and it is already 80 degrees or more here. My refrigerator is likely too cold. How important is the temperature? Can I just keep my house over-airconditioned (say 65 to 70 degrees) and will that do or do I need to build some contraption to keep them at exactly 50-60 degrees?[​IMG]

2. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    never heard that....I unpack mine into a carton, let them sit for a couple of hours on my counter (around 70 degrees) then I put them in the bator in the carton, after 24 hours I start turning [​IMG]

eta- I don't think keeping them that cool would be a good idea because as soon as you put them into the bator at 100degrees they are gonna sweat...

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I agree with klf. The temps you were provided are storage temps, not "prior to incubation temps". Just prior to incubation eggs should be brought up to room temp before putting them in the bator. If they are too cool, they will sweat which can cause bacteria to enter the egg. Good luck with your hatch.

4. SportChick

SportChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Louisiana
    Thanks. That is what I was hoping. I hadn't read that anywhere else, so was a little suspicious that it may not be what people really do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by