Resting Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JanieMarie, Sep 6, 2008.

1. JanieMarie

JanieMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Georgetown, Minnesota
    So my last rooster & hen are not happy being penned and there are no more fertile eggs. So I ordered some and they arrived today![​IMG] I need to know how important letting them rest after shipping is and for how long. And do I let them rest big end up in the carton or on their sides. They will be on their sides in the incubator. This will be my last try for the season & I am so hoping this one works![​IMG] I miss my hens but I am 1 skunk and 3 racoons less on my farmstead now! Any help will be greatly appreciated!

2. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    they should rest at room temp, big end up, for 6-8 hours, I let mine rest overnight usually.
    It has nothing to do with how they will be incubated, it is to allow for the air cell and yolk to settle and to bring up the temp if they are cold so they don't sweat in the bator, which is not good [​IMG] . Good luck!
    Krista

3. JanieMarie

Aug 26, 2008
    Georgetown, Minnesota
    Thanks! I'll put them in this eve then. This will be my first hatch ever! Have tried twice when I got down to one hen with my own eggs and they showed good growth til day 8 or 10 and then died. So I'm really hoping this time. Think I've got the kinks worked out. An LG still air is up and running holding steady at 101-102 with about 40% humidity. Once in a while it will kick up to 103. Could this be harmful if it is just for a short time? Also have both air plugs open this time. I thought maybe air exchange might have been a problem too. Any thoughts?

4. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Sorry, I am not familiar with this bator, but if there are ventilation holes then if I remember correctly the plugs are for more air when hatching? If there are no ventilation holes then at least one of those plugs need to be out, hopefully some with more experience with this bator will hop in. The temp spikes shouldn't be a problem if they are for short periods , 15 mins or so. I have a force air(supposed to be 99.5-100.5) and had a couple spikes to 103 for a little while and mine were fine. Your humidity is fine too, just bring it up to 60%+ for hatching (I do 55%, but this works for me). There are a lot of reasons to lose a whole batch- improper ventilation, not turning (I do 3x, but some do as many as 5 or so, should be an odd number so the same side isn't up for the overnight hours), temp problems, bacterial infection, etc. Good luck! let us know how it goes

Krista

5. JanieMarie

Aug 26, 2008
    Georgetown, Minnesota
    Thanks for the info Krista. I'll keep you posted but I'm pretty disappointed checking out the eggs. I ordered 12 mixed on ebay. They were in a carton not individally wrapped with a bunch of cotton balls on top. Looks like they had apretty rough trip. 5 of them were cracked and cotton was stuck to alot of them. I'm not sure how late into the year I should try to hatch. We have brutal winters here and I don't really want a basement full of chickens all winter. But I hate to give up. Anyone know where I can get 12 mixed hardy breed eggs from anyone on BYC that knows how to ship?

Thanks - Jane

6. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    there are a LOT of people on here that ship well. Go to the Buy-Sell-Trade hatching eggs section and put a post there i.e
    WTB- mixed breed or any large fowl hatching eggs for a reasonable price to ship asap.
    be polite and you will get lots of answers, very friendly people here willing to help out [​IMG] . and you can get some decent eggs for $25 including shipping. They will let you know what they have available and when they can ship. I can't help until spring, my oldest are only 14 weeks.

Krista

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by