1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Restless and ambivalent

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by WriterofWords, May 8, 2009.

1. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I am restless, I got my letter of intent from the school district, unlike some who were not, I was re-employed for the next school year. I should be doing the happy dance, but I'm not, I'm restless, I want to move, I don't want to be here in this area anymore. But then I have a job, some don't. I have a home, some don't. I do have a lot of financial difficulties right now but I just keep believing it will get better, I know it will eventually if I can just ride it out. If I taught in TX I would make almost 15000.00 more a year with my experience and degrees. In AK I would make close to 30000.00 more a year. My heart is still in my teaching, it just doesn't want to be where I am right now.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Dearest it really is ok to think of you and your family instead of everyone else out there!!!! Yes you have a job, but if you find one in an area you prefer GO FOR IT!!!! Don't just sit there, look around! You never know what door may be waiting to be opened if you don't seek it. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  3. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Thanks, I think with Steven leaving for Basic, I'm getting back to my restless single self and I do need to put myself first for once. I come far behind my son and family and career.

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

There is never ANY harm in looking. We hadn't planned on moving until the beginning of the year, but I kept peeking and we found the PERFECT place. Just look and see where it leads you.....

5. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    I'm going to Texas, I'll save ya a seat!

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Put out feelers.

Fill out a few applications for districts in TX and AK. You never know.

But, AK would be a long restless ride for Nugget...[​IMG]

7. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    Think about your retirement before you act. How many years do you have invested in New Mexico's system? How many more years would you have to work if you moved to Texas or Alaska?

How about health insurance? How do the other state's programs compare with New Mexico's?

If you are restless, maybe a move within the state might help.

What kind of children do you like working with? Teaching Native American and Hispanic kids is a special skill. Will those other states compensate you for your language skills?

Good Luck,

Rufus

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  8. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Nothing wrong with being restless. Sometimes we DO need a change, experience something, someplace different in life.
    I have definitely thought about it as well once I get the house sold. Part of me stays stay in the midwest, another part is tempted to go somewhere else.
    Follow your dreams![​IMG]

9. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    At the beginning of last year I was offered my dream job in AK, unfortunately I couldn't accept it. I've looked at so many states and my biggest regret is not moving when Steven was younger.
    I'm going to get a second job to get out of debt, under control, and money enough to move.

10. country lady

country lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    NW Tennessee
    I'm going to get a second job to get out of debt, under control, and money enough to move.

You might want to try a financial planning seminar such as Dave Ramsey conducts. My son and DIL are taking it through their church. We gave them Dave Ramsey's book for Christmas but the financial course really put them in motion. They expect to be completely debt free in eight years, including student loans and mortgage. Rufus had great tips.

Good luck--I enjoy reading your posts. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by