1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Restless chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by handsomecock, Aug 27, 2013.

1. handsomecock

handsomecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY, USA
    Just got my chicks in today. Speckled Sussex came in messed up, dont think she's gona make the night. Now all of a sudden one of my light brahma's gets crazy when any other chick comes close to her kicking and yappin away. I took her out to calm her down, which works, but I cant hold her all night. I put her back in and sectioned off an area w cardboard but she's still yappin. Is it possible what ever got to the sussex got to her? She kicks sometimes till her feet are up in the air then she falls asleep on her back, that was similar to the sussex initial behavior. Now the sussex is still with feet fully extended breathing slow deep and heavy. Seems to be a bubble on its neck, im assuming its the crop. They were all vaccinated so I dont understand whats happenin. Could this be how she goes to sleep? ***

2. handsomecock

Aug 9, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY, USA
    **update**

So last night and this morning I noticed that after removing the restless brahma the rest of the chicks were calm and tranquil. Still she managed to wake me throughout the night with her ranting. As she lay next to the sussex there was a striking resemblance in posture and leg twitching. A buddy of mine claims to have seen the brahma "draggin its head" as he says when they came in yesterday. Right now I have them both isolated from the rest of the flock and have brought them to my job with me to give them extra care. The sussex seems lifless, but when i put her beak in water she comes to life and takes a sip. But only to vomit it back out later. So sad.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  3. jdoane

jdoane Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    Sad!!!! Are the yellow spots on the paper towel poop? That doesn't seem like a normal color!

Are all your other chicks doing ok?

4. handsomecock

Aug 9, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY, USA
    I think its pee and/or vomit. Gona change the towels and watch when I get home. All the rest of my girls are groovy.

5. jdoane

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    Glad the others are doing well!!! Hang in there. The first few days are full of worry!!!

6. handsomecock

Aug 9, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY, USA
    Yea Sussex just left us :(

7. jdoane

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    I'm so sorry. I lost one on day three. Very hard but even harder to watch them decline! [​IMG]

8. handsomecock

Aug 9, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY, USA
    Thx I know its tuff. The Brahma still got some fight in her. Maybe I should name them...

9. handsomecock

Aug 9, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY, USA
    Sad to say she left us 2 Sundays ago.

10. jdoane

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    So Sorry!!!

How are the others?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by