Restless chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KPort Chick, May 22, 2008.

1. KPort Chick

KPort Chick Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2008
    Maine
    My chicks who are almost 3 weeks act so wild when I visit them. I put in my hand in the brooder to adjust the waterer and one jumped up on me and climbed up on my head! Do they want to get out or are they just happy to see me?

2. vwoods

vwoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Spotsylvania, Virginia
    Welcome to BYC! My chicks are the same way, they are 5 weeks now. The kids and I actually take them outside for some fresh air and sunshine when the weather cooperates and they jump and fly all over each other and us. Then when they go back in the brooder/"dog crate" they crash ! Wears 'em right out. Just like all babies! Yours will probably enjoy exploring outside if you have a safe area for them. I never leave mine alone when they are out because we don't have our run finished yet. Enjoy!

3. MiniDriver

MiniDriver Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Get 'em out to exercise on nice days! As vwoods said, they'll have a great time and crash when they get back to the brooder.

Warning about taking chicks out for first time: I took them out in a basket, and they took their time deciding it was safe to leave the basket. I busied myself in the garden, turned around to check on them, and they were lying stretched out in the sun, looking dead! They hopped up a minute later, after I had a minor coronary. They like to sunbathe, apparently!

4. KPort Chick

KPort Chick Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2008
    Maine
    Thanks for replying! I live in Maine and the weather has NOT been warm at all. I think it will be close to 70 this weekend so I will take them outside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by