Restricted free range idea help?

SoonersDucks

Chirping
Jun 26, 2019
Enid, Oklahoma
I want to dd on to my runs so that my chickens and ducks can have more space to range... I wouldn’t call it free range as it would be a fenced in area accessed from their current runs... the issue is I have massive hawks that I feel would easily get my birds... anyone do some type of fenced in area with some netting over top?

My idea was using some t posts and a wire style fencing, then having a post or two in the center that would be about 8ft tall to drape a large net over and connect to the fence. Any suggestions or pictures of what you do?

Netting 2.JPG
Netting 1.JPG

I want to dd on to my runs so that my chickens and ducks can have more space to range... I wouldn’t call it free range as it would be a fenced in area accessed from their current runs... the issue is I have massive hawks that I feel would easily get my birds... anyone do some type of fenced in area with some netting over top?

My idea was using some t posts and a wire style fencing, then having a post or two in the center that would be about 8ft tall to drape a large net over and connect to the fence. Any suggestions or pictures of what you do?
That would work. Mine semi free range in a similar situation and we use bird netting to keep eagles out. We used PVC pip with a t at the top to keep it high enough to walk under. Works very well.

ETA: Would you like me to take a photo of mine?

I did exactly that, but I don't have any pictures of how I did it.

On one run, we use a long wooden pole with a feeder base on the top. We balanced the pole using the ground and the feeder base to keep the netting pushed up. Kind of like a Teepee.

The other one, we built an A frame thing. Two A frames on each side connected at the top with one beam. This was self standing and held up wire mesh which was then secured to the fence. Worked wonders.

That would protect from aerial predators but not be safe from ground predators. Sometimes you can find some sheet metal that someone is taking off that someone is taking down and gonna get rid of free or cheap for around the area, We get quite a bit from construction going on and asking if we can get tear off and they usually will give it to you as long as your loading it up and hauling it off.

I have an old frame for a pop up shade shelter that the fabric is long gone from, to hold my netting up high enough to walk under. Then it is affixed to the fence on two sides and the run on one side and a storage shed on the forth. I call it the chicken yard, which is day safe, as opposed to my run, which is (hopefully) night safe. here in the burbs, all I have to worry about during the day, is hawks, and my new dog.

The netting is working for us, but in Spring we will be building one new big coop. Right now we have 3 small ones. With the new big coop we will build a safe run, which of course will be smaller, where they will be at night and whenever we aren't around. Then they can free range the orchard most days. If I understand your plan, you will end up with the same thing when you're done. Good luck!
How do the poles do with wind? I am thinking of building something like what you have there. One side will connect to my coop run, and the other 3 sides will be t-post fencing.

Depending on the size of the bird netting or deer fencing you use, you could use an 8 foot t-post and put an electric fence insulator on the top of it, and drape the netting/deer fencing over that. The 8-foot t-post should be about 6.5 feet once in the ground. Bird netting would sag, the deer fencing might not sag as much, so you might be able to walk around better inside the enclosure.

Back
Top Bottom