Restricting broody hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by EggyErin, Jul 12, 2011.

1. EggyErin

EggyErin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    N. Ga mountains
    I have a bantam that went broody. I thought she had been gotten by a hawk but then she returned a few days later. I didn't think to watch her then but when she didn't show up in the coop that night I knew she must have a nest. She's been setting these infertile eggs for over a week and despite my searching, I couldn't find her. So today she pops up to the coop for food and I put her in the transition cage. Now I feel like A Very Bad Mom. I'm afraid she'll starve because she's not getting enough to eat and I don't know if she'll ever figure out that the eggs aren't going to hatch. Am I doing right? And how long should I leave her up? She's Extremely unhappy.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I think it is cruel to just let them go with no hope of hatching eggs. It is much kinder to either give her fertile eggs or break her from being broody. If breaking her is your choice, do not feel bad about it. You are doing a good thing.

I usually find that three days is enough in the broody buster. Sometimes it is not, but usually it is. You will not hurt her by keeping her in a day or two longer if you want that extra confidence she is broken. Have food and water in there for her. Just do not give her anything that can look like a nest.

3. EggyErin

EggyErin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    N. Ga mountains
    Thank you! I feel some better now. My bantam has been a mama before so I feel like she would have stuck it out until the eggs rotted out from under her or she starved to death. Poor thing. I hope chickens' memories aren't too long.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by