Results and observations from first hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KSPixieChick, Feb 23, 2009.

1. KSPixieChick

KSPixieChick Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2008
    I began with 24 mixed eggs and a home built incubator. There were two chicks that hatched. There were several things that could have had an impact on my hatch.
    These eggs were shipped and arrived in 8F degree weather.
    Humidity was kept low; 30 to 40% till day 18.
    Temperature fluctuated quite a bit; 95 to 102.
    The incubator is 24"w x 18l" x 24h" and made of 1/2" plywood wrapped with carpet padding. There is a fan and two floodlights for temperature control.
    Day 18 humidity raised and held at 70%. Temp between 98 and 102.

Results:
    12 were candled and discarded. All were clear when opened.
    The chicks took 22 days to hatch. Two hatched. When I opened the other eggs on day 24 there were three that were greenish inside (dead embryos?) and three that had full chicks in them that were not moving. The rest were yellow smush.
    I was disappointed that three were so close to hatching but didn't. My DH said it was probably due to them being too close to the light and maybe they cooked.
    Our next hatch is due this Friday. I think I will put some kind of shielding over the light to deflect the heat so it will not be directly on the eggs. Lesson learned?

2. chickenboy1993

chickenboy1993 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    dayton, Virginia
    i have tried several times to hatch eggs with a store bought incubator and i never had any luck they all were just yellow much like some of yours

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:I'd suggest working on getting your temps more stable. That's quite a bit of swing....especially if it's going up and down throughout the incubation.

4. KSPixieChick

Sep 25, 2008
    It looks like I will lose the second chick. I don't expect it to be alive when I get home in the morning. My husband is going to put together a better thermostat for me. Thanks Katy.

5. KSPixieChick

Sep 25, 2008
    The second chick did die. My little banty chick is running around and seems to be happy. She will have some company on the 27th when the cuckoos hatch. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by