Results from my first hatch.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PunkinPeep, Jul 29, 2010.

1. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Songster

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    My hatch is over. I started with 48 eggs, and i had 30 good hatches. I hatched black sexlinks and bo/rir crosses. And then today, i sold them, so i don't get to enjoy the presence of their cheeps in my living room anymore.

[​IMG]

I got a good "chicken carpet" shot at nap time. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Out of the 48, 4 didn't make it to lock down; 3 pipped, zipped a little and died; one hatched and then died; two hatched but had the red swollen belly buttons. I tried to wrap them in wet paper towels and put them back in, but they kept wriggling out of their wraps. One of them improved significantly, so i sent it with the 30 i sold, but at no charge, in case it makes it. The other i had to put down. The remaining 8 (if you're keeping track) never pipped. I was going to do eggtopsies, but by the time i got done with everything, i just didn't have the heart anymore.

Thirty out of 48 is what? 62.5% I'll definitely have to do better next time.

This was my first hatch, and i learned some things, including that i don't really have room to hatch 48 chickens in my little 'bator. Next time (which probably will be Saturday), i'll put in just 24.

Y'all were all right. This is addictive.

2. bahamas

bahamas Songster

Jan 16, 2010
    awesome

so cute. i remember the feeling of my first hatch.

3. NaomiSarah

NaomiSarah Chirping

Jul 4, 2010
    [​IMG]

4. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Songster

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Is it weird that i'm having minor bereavement issues about them being gone?

Not to mention the ones that didn't make..... [​IMG]

We put so much emotion in those babies. [​IMG]

5. nicoletm24

nicoletm24 Songster

Jul 11, 2010
    Timberlake
    [​IMG]

6. Bedste

Bedste Songster

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    Good JOB Beth! I think you did a wonderful job. OMG your first hatch was amazing. When they leave it is like you lost the climax to a great novel that you have spent 21 days reading.... I am so proud of you..... GREAT JOB BETH and it is hard saying goodbye....

7. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Songster

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Maybe next time i will keep them for a few weeks and sell started pullets or something.

8. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I always miss them so much. My new students have only been in class 2 days and already want to know when they get to hatch!

9. Supermommy486

Supermommy486 Songster

Apr 8, 2010
    South Central Texas
    Way to go Beth!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by