Results of my latest hatch... 16 live chicks... 6 dead

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by snaffle, Feb 24, 2015.

1. snaffle

snaffle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Illinois
    I set 25 copper maran eggs
    On day 18 I candled and removed 1 unfertilized egg.

Since I have been having problems with the temperature, I covered the incubator with a heavy yard rug to hold the temp close to 100. It usually read 99 although the last couple of days it did drop to 97.5

I removed 8 chicks on the 22 day
    I removed 8 chicks on the 23rd day

23rd day I checked the remaining 6 eggs
    set each egg in a bowl of warm water.
    1 of the 6 sunk. It had a chick in it that lived until the last day or two

5 eggs floated but no movement.

I opened the end of each egg and found one chick that had pipped through the membrance but not the shell.

The other 5 chicks had obviously died the last day or two.

One membrane was white, A couple were turning white.

This was one of my best hatches. I have been having problems with temperatures.
    So far have replaced the thermostats in 2 of my 4 Genesis 1588 and have another one to replace.

Might have to order the 4th one.

Would you be happy with 16 out of 24? To me that is not very good. Am I too hard on myself?

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Are you replacing those thermostats because they completely die, or because your temp is too low? Have you worked at tweaking the temp up with a good accurate thermometer? I have 3 and sometimes 4 thermometers in my bator, and they are all calibrated to match either a medical mercury bulb thermometer, or a digital medical thermometer. A lot of thermometers read low, and if you trust them, you'll have poor or delayed hatches. You're on a learning curve, as we all are. Compared to the number of chicks you had 4 weeks ago, I'd say that you're doing just fine. Any health issues with this batch? If not, you're doing great!

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    That's a decent hatch in my opinion. I agree with lazy gardener though as it sounds the temp is a tad low causing a slightly later hatch. I use THREE thermometers in mine. My last hatch was 13/16 and all three of the ones that did not hatch died day 20/21. One had internally pipped but never made it to the external pip. For some reason it seemed harder to see the one that internally pipped and not make it. The other two were both NNs. I had three nns hatch and one died just over a week old due to digestive issues. If they had all hatched and survived I would have had 5. Funny thing is the NNs were the last eggs to hatch. I want to research further to see about hatch rates and mortality within the egg for the breed and see if there is a connection.

4. scflock

scflock Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    75% is good for any hatch, but I think excellent for copper marans. I hope I have that high of a hatch rate when mine start laying

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by