I purchased a dozen ISA Brown eggs from eBay. They were wrapped well and I received 14 intact eggs. We set all 14 eggs in early January. At day 14 I removed 3 eggs that didn't appear to have anything inside. Upon cracking them, the yolks were broken and nothing was happening inside. These were pretty easy for me to see when candling - they looked very different than anything else. At day 18 (lockdown) I had a few that I wasn't sure about, but since none of them smelled, I went ahead and put them into lockdown. Mid morning on day 20 we had on egg pip, but nothing really happened until late in the evening on day 20. At the end of the day (day 20) we had one cute little chick. By the time we woke up the next morning we had 4 chicks hatched and pretty much dry. During the rest of the day (day 21) we had three more hatch for a total of 7 chicks. Since these are ISA Brown's the chicks should be sex linked and I'm pretty sure we ended up with 6 cockerels and 1 pullet!! What are the odds? Anyway, below are some pictures from some autopsy's we did of the remaining 4 eggs that went in to lockdown...(warning - somewhat graphic)... 1 - We had one egg that pipped, but then did nothing else. Upon opening this egg, it was a perfectly formed chick (looked like a pullet). The membrane wasn't overly wet or overly dry so I'm not sure what happened to this one? 2 - This chick was fully formed put had blood on its beak and quite a bit of blood in the egg. I'm guessing it pipped through a vein? 3 - This chick was well formed with no obvious defects, but obviously quit well before lockdown? I'm guessing day 14 or so? 4 - This last chick quit early. Around day 5? However, what is that horrible red blob next to it's eye? Any guesses on the bad ones? I am glad I opened the eggs to check. I also candled them quite a bit before and I really think that from now on I'll be able to tell what's good going in to lockdown and what isn't. Based on what I learned, I had 9 viable chicks that went in to lockdown and 7 that hatched. Not bad for my first time hatching. I was going to be happy with 5 chicks hatched so I was extra pleased to have a better success rate than planned. I'm using a HovaBator 1588 with the automatic turner. I didn't do anything to to the machine except for plug it in and fill the troughs with water. I felt like I was constantly adding water (it's fairly dry here) and at day 19 I did add a small container of water as I couldn't get the humidity above 48%.