results of the baited traps from last night - night of Thurs. may 12

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by eggcited2, May 13, 2011.

1. eggcited2

eggcited2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Illinois
    Three empty traps, even the bait is gone (the sticky buns) one trap had a raccoon in it. Raccoon now dead.

All the traps are just alike, so don't know why the three empty ones didn't trip. They are live traps. Heck, one tripped last night when I tossed the small sticky bun into it.

I have some live traps that are about rabbit, squirrel size. Am going to bait them tonight. In case it is young/small raccoon, or other animal that is smaller.

2. archerobx

archerobx Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Pa
    Instead of just tossing the buns in, try hanging them from the top so if a coon reaches in it can pull any out and by having it tied the animal has to do some work to get it just cant grab and go. If still losing bait, try anchovy paste.

congrats on the one

3. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Or a sardine can barely open tied to the trap. Maybe they will get brave tonight.

4. jrudolph305

jrudolph305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2009
    Meadows of Dan, Va
    I had some bait taken also without springing the trap. I almost think they stick their tiny little paws thru the wire mesh. Anyway if you haven't already try staking the traps in the ground with some type of rod--rebar works well or anything that would go thru the mesh and into the ground. Keep the stakes near the edge of the trap. Good luck. Fortunately around where we live the trapper takes the coons to a guy and they sell the pelts and meat (guess it is tasty if cooked properly).

5. eggcited2

Jul 8, 2010
    Illinois
    Quote:My dad and mom grew up (both born in 1920's) eating coon, possum, skunk, groundhog, etc. Cow and pig brains.

I know my brother and I ate brains when we were growing up, cow liver, pig liver, cow heart, cow tongue.

They tried to use every part of a butchered animal. I never could take to pickled pigs feet, although my mom and dad loved them.

6. eggcited2

Jul 8, 2010
    Illinois
    We are getting a rain storm at this time and the report is saying rain off and on all through Monday. Can I bait the traps and have them out in the rain?
    Do the raccoons hunt in rain? Or other predators hunt in the rain?

7. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    Eggcited...dont eat brains anymore but I love calf's tongue. Would not eat a racoon, poosum or skunk

8. eggcited2

Jul 8, 2010
    Illinois
    Quote:I get a laugh out of living close to St. Louis, cause some of the bars and such serve brain sandwiches and make a big deal out of it. We had it growing up. Fried, sliced and fried, grandma would mix them in with scrambled eggs, etc.

My mom could sure cook cow's tongue. She did a good job with heart too. And her liver and onions were the best!

My husband's grandma had possum, coon, etc in her freezer for eating clear up until she died at age 93. I remember her daughter, hubby's aunt, telling about coming home from work and hit a raccoon with her car, got out, picked up the dead coon and put it in her trunk to take home to eat. When she got home, opened the trunk, it wasn't dead after all. She shut the trunk, came back with a a shovel, opened the trunk and proceeded to beat it to death. She did get to have it to eat.

9. WillieBoy

WillieBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Some raccoons that have experience with live traps learn to carefuly remove the bait without tripping the trigger. As mentioned securing the bait will make it hard for the coon to get the bait.Some coons have been caught and released, and stay clear of live traps.Wear gloves when handling trap and baiting,human scent will alert them.I have a big smart coon here, i can't catch in a live trap.He/she has killed every frog and turtle in my pond.I find his big muddy prints all around and on my chicken coop.He/she is always testing my coops,trying to get my girls.They are well secured, still i'd like to get rid of the sucker.I had to stop growing sweet corn, because the coon destroyed my corn patch...they are a royal pain in the butt...! I kill everyone i catch.

10. Josh45640

Josh45640 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    SE Ohio
    TIe the bait to the bottom of the trap so the coon cant grab it and take off with it. If it has to eat it in the trap, there is more of a chance of it tripping the pan. Also set it so they cant reach in through the back of the trap from the outside. You can block it off with something or fasten a piece of plywood to the back like I do. A great way to use a cage trap around a hay loft is to slide it in between a couple hay bales. The more sides that you can block off, the better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by