Results of the county fair!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by ChickenPeep, Aug 12, 2011.

1. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    So, Tuseday we took our 2 roosters and 1 of our hens to the county fair! The one i took was Wesley. Were not quite sure what breed he is, but were thinking Black Rock. Wesley is slightly intolerant of bieng held, and struggles most of the time. My sister took Dingle, a Speckled Sussex cockerel. Dingle is the sweet, loving little guy that LOOVES to be held, he is also the flock leader. My brother took Fulffer-Nugget (named by him [​IMG]) a red star sex link. She is VERY tolerant and loves to be held. She will let you do whhatever you want to her, and is very calm and sweet.
    To really show your chickens ( take them up to the judge and talk and answer questions) you have to be in 4H. We are not in 4H, just Open class, so we didnt have to show them, i was relieved when i found that out! Then my dad came up and said that he had signed me up for showing! [​IMG] I was soo upset! That night, i looked at the showing study guide and crammed as well as i could!!
    When i got there the next morning, i knew i was doomed! you had to answer questions, talk about them, open thier wing, pose them, and take them in and out of a cage!!! I knew Wesley didnt like to be held much, so when i picked him up and he just sat on me, i was realluy suprised! i realized it was because he didnt get much sleep with all the roosters crowing.

While we were waiting in line, Dingle decided to embarrass us and started crowing! [​IMG] It was soo loud it echoed through the barn! He kept it up for a while, and i had finally had enough! [​IMG] I started glaring at him (like that would do anything!) and to my suprise, he stopped! Proof of my chicken powers! Hahahaha! So, back to showing. When it ws finally my turn, I walked slowly up to the judge with a half-asleep Wesley in my arms. When i got there, to my suprise, Wesley was completely tolerant of anything and everything i did! He let me oped his wing, and just stood there and didnt move! What a good boy! The judge actually asked me if i wanted to put him in the cage because he wasnt sure if he would fit! Wesley did so much better than i thought he would! I walked off the stage proudly and showed people my beattiful bird!

Then it was my sisters turn. On the walk to the judge, Dingle jumped out of her arms and flew off the stage!!! When we got him back, my sister took him up the judge, sucessfully this time! She was doing pretty good, then the judge asked her to put him in the cage and he went in, but came righrt back out. Not only did he come out, but he jumped off the table onto the chair, jumped off the chair, then ran!! Then he did it again when she tried to open his wing!! I was soooooo suprised since dingle was usially such a good boy! When she was done, Dingle was almost asleep!

next up was my brother with Fluffers, and nothing unusial happened with her! Typical!! Last night, We got the results from open class ( beauty, not showing) Fluffers got a Blue ribbon! Goog girl! [​IMG] Dingle got a Red ribbon! Good boy [​IMG]! And wesley, well, he didnt get a ribbon. [​IMG] I was so upset! he is the preetiest chicken i have ever seen! i think maybe its because he has extra toes, and we might have got the breed wrong.

Then came the showing results! Fluffer-Nugget got a Blue ribbon, typical [​IMG] ! Wesley aslo got a blue ribbon [​IMG]! And Dingle, well Dingle got Reserved Champion!!! [​IMG] Wesley got 92/100, Fluffers got 93/100, and dingle got 63/100! What does reserved champion mean? It sounds good! Im just so suprised he go that because he flew away 3 times! Maybe they mixed it up.... I am sooooo Proud of wesley! He is such a good boy! I love him soo much! Here are pics of our award winning birds! I will get more pics as soon as possible!

Dingle
    [​IMG]

Fluffer-Nugget
    [​IMG]

And Wesley!!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  2. kychicken75

kychicken75 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2011
    Lebanon ky
    Congrats!!!! [​IMG]:weee

3. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Thank you!

4. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    Congrats! They're beautiful!

5. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Thank you too!

6. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Awww i want them all! Especially Fluffer Nugget [​IMG]

7. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    They came home yesterday, and the roos danced soo much for the hens!
    It was adorable!
    Does anybody know what reserved champion mean?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  8. Firefighter Chick

Firefighter Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Southeast Minnesota
    reserve champion is like second place. pretty good!

9. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Wow! id never think Dingle would get second place! [​IMG]

10. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    Quote:LOved love loved your story very well written, it had everything, back ground, excitment, big climax and great finish,. as a teacher of creative writing for co-op I would give YOU a blue ribbon for your story,[​IMG]

congrats on the wins.. [​IMG]

)O(
    Pink

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by