1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Results: The newly designed Little Giant EASILY holds goose eggs!!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by LTygress, Feb 27, 2014.

1. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    Got the eggs home today. I used a dry brush to get some of the actual clumps of dirt off. Then I weighed each of them (5.8 oz, 5.8 oz, and 6.5 oz), wrote the date in pencil, and set them aside.

I then made sure the newest LG incubator was off, put a turner in there, and laid the eggs on top. There was SO MUCH room, I could have left the eggs on end if I wanted, and they STILL would have cleared the heating element!

But since that isn't the incubator I am actually using this time, I took them back out and placed them in their proper incubator on their sides, but didn't plug it in yet. I am giving them time to sit (and hopefully reattach some air cells) and then I'll turn it on tomorrow. I already adjusted the temp in it's current location, but I'll be right beside it tomorrow anyway to make sure it goes back to the same temperature.

So the magical date is March 30th! Wish me luck!

1 person likes this.
  2. RURU

RURU Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    LT have you hatch eggs before? Just curious because you turn the incubator on and check it out first on the humidity and temperature before ever putting your eggs in there. This is so the heat and moisture are at the right settings for your best results. Just trying to help out helping.

3. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    Yup, lots! That's why I put the incubator where I want it, plug it in, check temp and humidity, and leave it that way UNTIL the eggs arrive. Then I unplug it long enough to let the eggs settle for about 8-10 hours (since it's a sterile environment, I use the incubator to let eggs settle). After that, I turn it back on. The temperature was set JUST prior to the eggs arriving, so it went right back to the same temperature when I plugged it back in. And the humidity was already adjusted to 30% while it was on as well.

4. RURU

RURU Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    That is great to hear LT. Good luck on the hatch hope to see pictures of the babies when hatched....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by