Results with closed flock after disease?

RVAChicknlady

In the Brooder
May 22, 2018
I’ve seen many many posts on here about handling a sick flock and options to treat/close the flock or cull. I have not seen too many follow up posts regarding those who chose to keep/treat/close their flock

I have a flock of 27 chickens that are all a little over a year old. They got sick about 3 weeks ago… runny noses, sneezing, rattling breathing, puffy sinuses/faces. The vet initially suspected Coryza and we treated 10 days with antibiotics. We did not quarantine as by the time we realized, the entire flock would have been exposed. We introduced 4 new birds a month ago- none of which have been symptomatic new birds to the flock and so we Are 99% sure it’s from them (lesson learned). After the initial round of Antibiotics (Ethrofloxacin I think?) things were looking up, until about 2 days later when a few took a turn for the worse with swollen faces, lethargy, sneezing. We lost 2 birds in the first 2 weeks of the illness. Through research we think it was not coryza but likely MG (no stink from the sinuses, but bubbly eyes and swollen faces) I just finished up 3 days of Denagard in their water and everyone is starting to look like they are coming around. Free ranging, eating, drinking, “playing”. Some are still a bit lethargic but nothing like they were even just a week ago

To pile on this, we had a torrential deluge of rain for almost a week which resulted in our basement as well as our chicken coop flooding. It has since dried out and actually is probably cleaner than its been in a while as we hosed it out and disinfected once it dried from the initial flooding before putting bedding back in—so the poor chickens have had lots of stress. I know at least some of the hens are laying again (Peggy and a RIR for sure) but we’re only getting about 2-4 eggs per day right now. I know they are just now getting back to normal from being sick/stressed so. Additionally they seem to be molting again (stress?). I am certainly not rushing their recovery as they’ve been through quite a lot. But I was wondering how long it took other flocks that have had illness like this to start laying again and was there a very noticeable drop in production in your flocks? We decided not to cull but to close the flock and vaccinate/treat any new birds we may bring in.

Back
Top Bottom