Retail Rant: What happened to customer courtesy?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Sunny Side Up, May 16, 2009.

1. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    [​IMG] Whatever happened to good old customer courtesy? The idea that "the customer is always right"? Yeah, I know there have been too many abuses of that concept, but still, customers should be treated with courtesy and consideration by retail employees. I honestly think I am a courteous customer, treating store employees politely. I don't expect them to bend over to kiss my behind, but I think at least they should keep their lips puckered and aimed in that general vicinity. I think my business is something they should appreciate.

Yesterday I had to return some things at Walgreens. I had the items and my receipt but somehow there was a misunderstanding. When the manager finished the transaction I had to tell him -- nicely & politely -- there were still other items on the counter to return. He started sighing gustily and grumbling that he wasn't a mind reader, I should have told him, etc etc etc. I apologized again, saying I was sorry for the misunderstanding, but he kept on complaining throughout the rest of the 2-minute transaction. I think he should have held his complaints to share with his colleagues after work, or his buddies at the bar, but should have been more courteous to me, his customer.

Then today, at the feed store, I was buying some baby chicks. There's one employee who usually works tending the baby birds & bunnies, and is usually there the day they get new chicks for sale (it's always popular there, they have a line forming at the door the first morning of the sale). I waited my turn, and then took the time I needed to ask questions about the chicks they had for sale -- they said they had Lakenvelders, but many of the breeds of chicks were all mixed together and I couldn't see where those chicks were supposed to be -- and took the time I needed to carefully pick out the chicks I wanted. This employee says to me, and in the hearing of a the other customers "Gee, I'm glad ALL my customers aren't like you, I'd never get rid of them!" I was embarassed by that, and so surprised I didn't know what to say. Again, I honestly don't think I am being a demanding or rude customer, but I know what I want & don't want when buying chicks (no pasty butts, thank you, no pecked eyes or toes please) and don't think that the few extra minutes needed to gain my customer satisfaction are too much to ask.

I am rarely able to think of a good reply when I'm in the moment, it's usually in the car on the way home that I think "I shoulda said..." I don't know if it would be wise or effective to log a complaint about either of these employees. Probably best to forgive, forget, and go on with life. But it helps to unload here, I thank you for reading this far.

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    The idea that "the customer is always right"? Yeah, I know there have been too many abuses of that concept, but still, customers should be treated with courtesy and consideration by retail employees.

[​IMG]

3. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    holy cow. I honestly don't know how I'd react to that?!?! I have been known to have a short fuse in my youth, and I am thinking that the guy at the feed store might have pushed my buttons but geesh...... thats enough to embarrass anybody, me included. I hope you speak with the owner about that guy, or find another feed store.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by