Retired city gal now looking for a new Tennessee life

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ChickenNoob2, Jul 30, 2017.

1. ChickenNoob2

ChickenNoob2 In the Brooder

Jul 30, 2017
    Crossville, Tennessee
    so after 57 years living and working in Ohio, I retired,packed up the cat and moved to Tennesse. Currently staying with family while I look for my own little place with a bit of land to garden and have a few chickens for company...and eggs.
    My sister and brother in law have a small flock of free range chicken and ducks on their property. I got here just in time to see the chicks grow and leave their grower box.its been a couple of months now and it's almost time for them to start laying. They roost outside my window , I'm on the upper floor) they're in the pine tree right now,and Bear
    ( cat) is fascinated listening and watching their antics from his window perch.
    I'm in love with the silkies and hope to have a few soon.
    I know as bantams they are not heavy layers, and wonder how they would get along with other, larger breeds if raised together?

2. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Did you candle today?

Welcome to BYC!
    We are glad you joined us!
    This video will help you find your way around, enjoy!

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Silkies are not the problem with larger breeds. Other breeds tend to peck & bully silkies because they look much different than regular chickens. If raised together from very young other breeds may accept them.

Pork Pie Ken likes this.
  4. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    ChickenNoob2 likes this.
  5. potato chip

potato chip Crowing

Jan 3, 2016
    My Coop
    Hi, welcome to the forum.

I have a couple of silkies and one of their "sisters" is a black copper maran and quite a bit bigger than all of the other girls. They were hatched together and I haven't had (or seen) any issues. They've also got a fair bit of room, so they don't have to stay next to somebody they don't like.

ChickenNoob2 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: