RETRAIN EGG LAYING?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TitiBebbs, Nov 18, 2007.

1. TitiBebbs

TitiBebbs Songster

Mar 26, 2007
    HI EVERYONE!

I've got a small, issue with my EE Eagle. She's chosen a spot outside of the yard to lay her eggs. Yesterday, being home, I watched her. She and her boyfriend (he he) Goldie, wandered around the front yard. She disappeared and Goldie paced around a while. I quietly went out and found her back under the rolled up hose line beside a tree. I've been taking her eggs from there and even showed her where the real laying boxes are again. But she keeps going. Later, she disappeared again and Goldie started crowing. I found them both under a bushy tree where she'd made little nest-like holes all around it. Maybe she's dust bathing there, but I don't know. I think she's kind of safe because Goldie watches out for her and he can be protective/aggressive. But I would prefer she use the nice clean warm hay in the nice clean warm nest boxes I made. Should I worry? Am I trying to micromanage? Or can I teach her to lay where we want her to lay.

Oh BTW, she'd been laying there for a little while and when we first discovered her hiding place, we found 3 eggs there. Could she be going back to that place looking for those eggs?

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Feb 28, 2007
    South Eastern Indiana
    You might need to keep her locked in the coop for a day or so.....or at least until later in the day, after you know she has layed. I had to keep mine locked up untill noon, untill they got the idea. LOL Now, not a problem, only the occasional egg in the run...I think they just didnt know it was comeing! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: