Retraining chickens to sleep in the coop.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Pdxile, Oct 17, 2014.

1. Pdxile

Pdxile Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2014
    About 2 months ago I had a daytime raid by a raccon who grabbed a chicken right out of its nesting box. I have since killed the raccon, but 3 out of the remaining 4 will not sleep in the coop, preferring to roost in the trees and laying somewhere outdoors. I think they are traumatized. I have tried to retrain them by tricking them into the coop with treats, then shutting them up for a few days in the coop on several occasions. (It is a large 8x10 "hoop coop) so they have plenty of room ). Will this behavior last forever or can I do something else?
    Thank you,
    Helen

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  2. CrazyTalk

CrazyTalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    They don't think the coop is safe. If you haven't fixed how the raccoon got in, they're right.

Usually the recommendation is to coop them up a couple days and they'll sort it out, but you've already tried that.

3. Pdxile

Jun 5, 2014
    The coop is pretty bulletproof but the raccoon came during the day when the door was wide-open. Can chickens smell danger or fear? Maybe they can still smell something in the coop?

As an aside, I'd tried to catch that raccon in a live trap and nothing worked... Until I tried marshmallows!

4. Pdxile

Jun 5, 2014
    Yay! One more chicken (two now) sleeping in the coop on its own volition. The other two were easily plucked from a tree and placed inside. The retraining is working a little.

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Keep them penned in coop for three solid days. Late in fourth day let them out about 30 minutes before dark. Repeat day for to make certain they have good handle on roost site.

6. Pdxile

Jun 5, 2014
    So only let them out late in the day? I've done the 4 days in the coop before, but not the second step. That is interesting, I'll try it.

7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Yes. let them out only late in the day at first. That ensures they are close to entrance when time to return.

8. Pdxile

Jun 5, 2014
    That makes a lot of sense!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by