Retriever may have eaten fake eggs!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Chook to chook, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Chook to chook

Chook to chook Chirping

Sep 29, 2017
    Santa Cruz Mountains
    Ok, so here is the scenario...
    Our chickens free range and decided to make a nest in the brush outside. We discovered it and took the eggs but replaced them with two fake eggs hoping they would continue to lay there and not find new place that we might not find. We live in the mountains / forest and have tons of predators and creatures mulling about. We also have a retriever that has gotten in the coop and had no qualms about stealing an occasional egg. The fake eggs have disappeared since yesterday afternoon. Would something or worse yet, our dog have eaten them? Our vet once said that retrievers should come with a zipper because they will eat ANTYTHING and then they have to have it removed before it injures them or obstructs their bowels. Watching her carefully right now. Would something else have mistaken them for real and taken them? Has anyone had any similar experiences? Thanks in advance chicken fanciers!

Chick-N-Fun likes this.
  2. snow5164

snow5164 Crowing

May 16, 2015
    What were they made of? Wood or ceramic?

Labs need a zipper too :(

Chook to chook likes this.
  3. Tesumph

Tesumph Crossing the Road

Jul 10, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    What were they made of? Ceramic, wood, plastic? Were they realistic looking, possible a snake took them? Is this a puppy we’re talking about?
    Watch her carefully for lethargy, vomiting, drooling, and excessive drinking. Unfortunately they either pass it or they don’t; IMHO all retriever owners should brace for at least one obstruction surgery in the pup’s lifetime. :rolleyes:

4. Chook to chook

Chook to chook Chirping

Sep 29, 2017
    Santa Cruz Mountains
    they were ceramic but probably were scented by the chicken

5. dpenning

dpenning Crowing

Jul 20, 2013
    Blue Ridge, TX
    Mastiffs need zippers too. :( When my Bullmastiff had an obstruction surgery the e-vet said "see ya next time" when we were leaving. I would take my dog to the vet. They know what to feel for when palpating the abdomen, also could do a quick xray. You don't really want to wait till there IS an obstruction as it can cause bigger problems the longer it is a problem. Good luck and keep us posted!

snow5164, Tesumph and Chook to chook like this.
  6. Chook to chook

Chook to chook Chirping

Sep 29, 2017
    Santa Cruz Mountains
    She's three but so insanely dialed into the anything she deems edible which includes chicken feed/ scratch, any plastic wrappers that have even touched food, sticks, etc..
    We had to take her to the vet in her first year because she got into a jar full of chocolate chips that my boys didn't put the lid on properly. I don't think the vet visit or induced vomiting slowed her down one bit. Definitely have her on watch right now. THanks for the feedback. And yes...labs too! We've had them in the past too.

7. Chook to chook

Chook to chook Chirping

Sep 29, 2017
    Santa Cruz Mountains
    Thanks! Will do. It had to be on a Sunday. All of our pets have had this tradition of waiting until a holiday or Sunday to do something that warrants an expedient viewing by the vet! Ugh...

8. Chook to chook

Chook to chook Chirping

Sep 29, 2017
    Santa Cruz Mountains
    very realistic looking. we had to draw hearts on them to tell them apart.

9. dpenning

dpenning Crowing

Jul 20, 2013
    Blue Ridge, TX
    Monday would be fine if she is seeming OK. E-vets are $300 just to darken their door! Crazy

10. Chook to chook

Chook to chook Chirping

Sep 29, 2017
    Santa Cruz Mountains
    I know! It's nuts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: