Retrofitting for chickens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by haunani, Feb 22, 2017.

1. haunani

haunani Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2017
    near Rockford, IL
    I'm going to be retrofitting an older outbuilding as a coop/storage. It's 10x18, and I'm planning I putting in a partial wall to divide it. The coop area will be about 8x9.

I'm going to need help with ideas on how to fix up certain areas of it.

I'm working on pictures...

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Looking forward to seeing pics and hearing about your plans :)

3. haunani

haunani Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2017
    near Rockford, IL
    Pictures!

First up, the door. When it's closed, there's a bit of a gap at the bottom. Would placing a board across the doorway (as for DLM) be good enough to make it safer?

[​IMG]

Next up, this is the southwest corner. What would be the best way to fix this? The floor is asphalt/blacktop.

[​IMG]

Next up we have inside. The interior walls only extend partway up. What's the best way to prevent chickens from filling the gap with fertilizer? Just a board across the top?

[​IMG]

The barely secured fence portion of their run. I was thinking of just running fence between the wooden post (at the far end of the dilapidated gate) and building, but how do I make it dig-proof if there's a stump right in the middle, and asphalt right next to it?

[​IMG]

This is where I would want the gate into the run. How high do you recommend the run fencing to be? Simplest gate ideas?

[​IMG]

Finally, the pit behind the garage. Would simply covering this with hardware cloth, secured to the garage and slightly buried where it extended past the pit be good?

[​IMG]

I look forward to all your ideas and suggestions!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  4. Alabama Jack

Alabama Jack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2014
    Huntsville, Alabama
    We're converting an old barn and decided to make concrete thresholds. They go down 12-14" to discourage digging. Check out my latest build thread for more ideas.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

About 13 bags of sakrete, mixed two bags at a time in a wheel barrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by