Return to egg laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by feldon, Aug 19, 2007.

1. feldon

feldon Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2007
    Everson WA
    I have a buff who went broody about three months ago. She now has a 3 week old chick. She's a great mom, very protective and teaching the little one the rops of being a chicken. When will she get back to the job of laying eggs? Also, I have them both isolated now from the rest of the flock. Do you think I could safely return them to the main coop?, I need the space that they are in for my 11 4 day olds.
    Felicity

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Feldon.

I have an Austrolorp(sp?) that just hatched her babies....she is still in the main coop with all the others. She takes them out to the yard regularly....showing them how to dust bath. The other hens, and roos, seem to not care one bit about the little ones! IF another hens shows interest, momma quickly reminds them the babies are off limits.
    As far as laying again.....my bantams hatched out...about 10 weeks ago. I think it was about 8 or 9 weeks when the hens started laying again.
    Good luck with your momma and babies. Just give them a place they can retreat to...like a box on the floor.

3. feldon

feldon Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2007
    Everson WA
    Thanks Deb, I'll try putting them back in the main coop today. I have a concern about the food though. Without isolating them how do you go about keeping the feed seperate?
    Felicity

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

For my RIR ( the ones with the babies) I hang the large feeder, it has the payer pellets. The chicks can walk under it. In the morning, afternoon, and early evening, I go out there and lat a few handfulls of chick starter out on the ground for them. Momma brings them over, and eats with them. They seem to be doing fine....watched one catch a cricket today out in the yard. They are so fun to watch, out in the open with momma.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by