RETURN TO THE FLOCK BY AWOL MEMBER

Bluewater

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 15, 2013
Shasta County; Northern California
Several years ago, I built an incubator using an old RV refrigerator. I was proud of it (it actually worked!). I joined BRC and submitted an video of it; Recently, I dug it out of my shop and used it for another hatch. I had a component failure (bearings in the squirrel cage blower froze up). This kept the blower motor from turning and it overheated; Temperature was 123 degrees when I discovered it. I replaced it with an 8 in. exhaust fan (thru wall mobile home kitchen fan). I also can control the speed with an added switch. Ended up with 10 chicks (out of 41) but one died and 3 have an splayed leg. So, I'm here to find the best treatment. Tomorrow, I'll try the taping with wrap tape. Bluewater

Several years ago, I built an incubator using an old RV refrigerator. I was proud of it (it actually worked!). I joined BRC and submitted an video of it; Recently, I dug it out of my shop and used it for another hatch. I had a component failure (bearings in the squirrel cage blower froze up). This kept the blower motor from turning and it overheated; Temperature was 123 degrees when I discovered it. I replaced it with an 8 in. exhaust fan (thru wall mobile home kitchen fan). I also can control the speed with an added switch. Ended up with 10 chicks (out of 41) but one died and 3 have an splayed leg. So, I'm here to find the best treatment. Tomorrow, I'll try the taping with wrap tape. Bluewater
:eek: wow those were some tough chicks! Sorry i dont have any suggestions for tgeir legs. But WOW!

Back
Top Bottom