return you incubator? UPDATE

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rancher hicks, Dec 13, 2010.

1. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    This past February I purchased a Genesis 1588 from Incubator warehouse. At the time I bought the turner. It had a broken egg holder row, but it never occurred to me to call them cuz I had eggs that needed to go in it. They were shipped eggs. Now it is making a funny noise.

I wondered if anyone has had problems with their incubator and what things happened if you tried to contact the seller?

What is happening is that it will sound like an engine revving up. Of course it makes the usual whining sound but this is different. I am concerned cuz I've got eggs in it at the moment. So far all seems ok. Temp is holding and humidity is all right. It seems to do this when i stick the eye dropper in the vent hole to add water. I'm afraid to open it to candle the eggs and it will soon be time to do that.

Thanks

Rancher

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  2. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    I don't know squat (no pun intended) about incubators, but I know about returning things that stop working. According to the manufacturer, there is a 1 year warranty on it https://www.gqfmfg.com/store/help.asp if it was bought new (not to exceed 3 years from manufacture date). I would contact the seller first and then GQF Manufacturing for repairs or replacement within 1 year from purchase. I would do it soon since the clock is running. It will take at least a week to get it resolved, so you can time it for when your chicks get hatched.

Quote:

3. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I bought my 1588 straight from GFQ. When it had problems with the power cord they sent out replacement parts pronto. I too was in the middle of a hatch. Thankfully I had my old 1602 up in the attic and was able to transfer the lids to hold me until the new parts came in.
    The GFQ service people were exceptionally helpful and their service was quick.

4. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I didn't buy it from GFQ. I bought it from Incubator Warehouse. So far it's been holding the temp and humidity ok. I 've contacted Incubator warehouse by e-mail but will call tomorrow if I don't get a confirmation e-mail in return. The thing is I don't know what's making the noise. I know it's not the turner. So I suppose the only other moving part would be the fan. Right?

I don't have another incubator.

It only seems to do it when I add water to increase the humidity. I've lost the vent plug but never used it anyhow. On occasion when I think necessary i will plug it with a sharpie, until things stablize. So far though hatches have been acceptable. I think this is only my fourth hatch.

5. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I would still call GFQ'a technical help line. It is ultimately their product and they seemed very willing to stand behind what they made. At very least maybe you could describe the noise and see what they think. It can't hurt and who knows? They might end up taking care of the problem completely.

6. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    With computer components, you always contact the manufacturer. Same with tv's and video equipment and cameras and appliances. You don't usually get any response from the seller unless you have some sort of extended warranty.

I'd locate the receipt and call GFQ.

Quote:

7. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I don't have the receipt on hand but I do have the charge statement. It was bought in February of this year. I will call GQF as you suggested and see what they have to say. A new heater fan thermostat unit is $66.57 according to their site.

8. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I sent an e-mail to INCUBATOR WAREHOUSE. The company I purchased this unit from. They replied in a reasonable time, with a response to call GQF, and said they would help with whatever information I needed. I do have my credit card statement but I would expect that Incubator Warehouse has all this too, since it was purchased in February.

I called GQG, and explained what was going on that it was revving up and not holding it's usual temp. For me it's usually 100.0 or thereabouts. It's been running below the 99.5 and slows down like it's going to quit then revs back up but it's getting worse I think. Happening more and more. The GQF representative asked about the room temp and mine is 79*. I have it in my office which is the warmest room in the house at this time of year.

He said he was going to send me the heater fan unit and gave a quick explanation of how to install it. So I'm satisfied with how they treated me. I hope it arrives before this one quits, but I think it should. [​IMG]

One thing I recommend though is to keep all paper work, and read the instructions over and over cuz for me I miss things. I only mention this cuz I had my friends Hova bator 1602N and had it in the wrong room and none of the hatches was good at all. I didn't know how important it was to have the incu in a temp. stable room. When I got this unit I did read and reread the instructions and because of this my hatches have been good. It's good to know what things can derail a hatch so you aren't blaming a poor hatch on the wrong thing.

Also I think I'm going to borrow a friends Hova bator still air for hatching. I figure this will keep this unit clean and result in less of a chance in problems. Hova bator 1602N have no fan and are less complicated. I may just buy one for my self. Oh and while turners aren't said to be necessary they can help alot I think, so If you don't have one, ask for one for Christmas. [​IMG]

Does anyone use a second incu for hatching and how does it go?

So far the hatches for me have been acceptable, good IMO, but that won't matter if I only get three or four hatches from a unit. Still Randy Pryor was real nice and I'd recommend Incubator Warehouse, and GQF.

Thanks to all who replied to my dilemma

Rancher

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  9. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I'm so glad they took care of you. They were exceptionally nice to me and they got the part out promptly.

Good luck on your hatch!

10. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Thanks again

Rancher

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by