1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Returning healed chicken from warm house to flock in very cold garage

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by timebider, Dec 18, 2016.

1. timebider

timebider Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2016
    I have a hen in a dog crate in my laundry room. She just finished a course of Baytril injections for a respiratory illness and seems fully recovered, but she's lonely and bored out of her mind. It's 65F in the laundry room but around 30F in the garage, where I'm keeping the other eight hens in a large pen (long story). I'm thinking of moving the indoors hen's crate to the garage so she and the others can see one another for a while, and then letting her back in either at night or after releasing some crickets for distraction. I have a 100-watt ceramic heat lamp I can put on top of her crate but it's really not enough to mitigate the abrupt, major temperature change, and I don't want her to get sick again. Any ideas on how to move her back in with her pals? Or should I just bring the garage hens in to the basement so they're all indoors? (Just kidding. Probably.)

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

She is still feathered........Take her back out......My temps go up and down.....No issue........Put her on a bed of shavings or straw in her crate....She will be fine....

Cheers!

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I agree. Those are not real temperature extremes. She should be fine.

4. timebider

timebider Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2016
    Thanks! They feel extreme to me. ;)

5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    No, 50F one day and -10F the next day is extreme. [​IMG]Gotta laugh. It's too darned unpleasant not to.

I sure miss summer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by