Returning mama and chick to flock

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by leashells, Sep 14, 2012.

1. leashells

leashells New Egg

May 8, 2011
    Montana
    I have had a Wyandotte hen who would not give up setting... So I finally gave in and let her have 3 eggs. Well we ended up with one chick. (other two no good). In September in Montana!! Brrr After the chick hatched we moved mama and baby into a pen with nesting box inside the chicken house. So they would be among the other chickens, but protected. The chick is 1 week old and doing great. Mama REALLY wants out with the other chickens. She's not aggressive with me around the chick, but this hen I hand raised in the house and she's like my pet. So I'm not surprised by this.
    Any suggestions of when and how to turn them out with the flock?

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    If they have been in sight of the flock for the week leave the pair out with the rest of the flock. The mother should protect the chick from the flock. At a week old the chick also should be fast enough to run back to mom if there is trouble from another member of the flock. There will be some lessons the chick has to learn but it won't learn them confined from the flock.

3. leashells

leashells New Egg

May 8, 2011
    Montana
    Thank you.. This confirms our thoughts..... We were just being cautious because we've been trying for chicks for a year and finally got one!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by