Returning to country living and loving it

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by susiescott, Apr 10, 2017.

1. susiescott

susiescott Just Hatched

Apr 10, 2017
    My name is Susie, I was raised around many farm animals but as life happens we wound up in the city. Many years later I am returning to the country thankfully and started back up with chickens and ducks. I currently have 5 laying hens and 24 chicks that are about 3 weeks old as well as 4 ducks of undetermined age :) . I purchased 24 as 1. They were on sale 2. I figured on a 50/50 mortality rate and 3. Well because I could . I am happy to report all have survived for 2 weeks with me and are getting fresh air and lots of love.
    I am in the process of revamping my hen house so that I will have room for all my babies. My laying hens have been in our family now for a few weeks as well and are thriving, there was no delay in egg production as I thought due to the stress of moving from one home to another and love to eat out of our hands and follow us around to see what other treats we have up our sleeves.
    I have returned to this website many times the last few weeks while preparing things as there is a wealth of knowledge as well as many very wonderfully helpful people here.
    I have my garden planted as well, think I transplanted some things a little early and may have to replant some things but am not loosing faith in having fresh veggies this summer. I live near the Texas NM border so we have extreme heat and a lengthy growing season. Cant wait to continue on our journey :)

2. BYCforlife

BYCforlife Overrun With Chickens

Hello! [​IMG]

3. ninjawesome

ninjawesome Currently being awesome Premium Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Wild, Wild West
    [​IMG]Hi there Susie and [​IMG]! We are glad you could join the flock!

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Hi, Susie, welcome to byc and back to the country life!

5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Susie [​IMG] Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hi Susie, great to meet you. Really enjoyed your introduction. Hope you will enjoy BYC as much as we do. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by