1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Reuseable Egg Cartons

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Susan Hillside, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Susan Hillside

Susan Hillside New Egg

Mar 3, 2013
    Suttons Bay, Michigan
    Hello,

I'm looking to buy some reusable egg cartons. I sell two dozen eggs per week to my one good egg customer. I would like to buy some good, sturdy, washable, egg cartons for her. The eggs I use for my purposes are usually not washed and I have a nice homemade stand for them.

Any thoughts on quality reuseable egg cartons?

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I just reuse regular foam and/or paper cartons and don't wash them or the eggs.
    You can get hard plastic 'cartons' at a camping store.

3. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

The foam and clear plastic ones can be cleaned on the top rack of your dish washer using a short cycle while avoiding the extra heated water and the heated dry cycle...

Or as said you can get hard plastic ones at camping stores or all over Ebay, but beware if you have extra large egg layers the eggs might not fit in the solid plastic cartons, as they are generally made to fit medium to large eggs...

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  4. Susan Hillside

Susan Hillside New Egg

Mar 3, 2013
    Suttons Bay, Michigan
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Well, there ya go then.

I only have about 6 customers, they are really good about returning and taking good care of cartons, they seem to last quite a long time.
    Never have needed to clean them, as they don't appear to get dirty.

6. NoDak

NoDak New Egg

Apr 11, 2016
    I bought 6 Nutrena washable 'green' egg cartons from Blain's Farm and Fleet, on-line. When I received the package 5 of the 6 had broken closure tabs. I would not recommend buying these. They feel thin and flimsy and are obviously NOT durable. Back to the drawing board.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by