Reusing Molted Feathers?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by harldane, Dec 28, 2009.

1. harldane

harldane Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2008
    Sunny So. California
    Our 2nd hen is going through her molt at the moment and after looking at all the feathers covering the coop floor, I began to wonder if anyone collects/cleans them and reuses them for anything - pillows, fishing lures, jewelry?

It seems like such a waste in this "reuse everything you can" world these days.

If you do clean them, how do you do it?

Thanks!

2. OhMyItsAndyy

OhMyItsAndyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    West England
    I think if they're clean it's not so bad to reuse them. Especially if their REALLY pretty feathers =]

3. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    how about a turkey i think it would be a great idea for pillows and earrings and just cool crafts.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  4. suburbanminifarm

suburbanminifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    N.San Diego County
    Oh I do!
    I make them in to hair clips! I use inexpensive metal clips purchased in quantity and cover them in felt and hot glue the feathers to them. I thought about selling them, or even making custom orders if people send me their own birds' feathers! LOL My almost 8 yo Daughter loves them and shows them off at school. They are fashionable right now judging by what I see in those accessory mall stores. If anyone is interested I'll post a pic.

5. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    Quote:please pictures would be appreciated

6. harldane

Mar 23, 2008
    Sunny So. California
    Oh yes, I'd love to see photos too! I have 7 and 10 year old daughters that LOVE hair clips.

Do you clean them before using them?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  7. suburbanminifarm

Jul 29, 2009
    N.San Diego County
    OK, great, I thought everyone would think I was nuts... [​IMG]
    See it's just those cheap snap clips. I found some at the dollar store, or you can get them on Ebay.
    This one I grabbed is white silkie feathers... mostly we use silkies
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I have not cleaned them, [​IMG] I only use "perfect" ones my daughter finds in the grass! It's kinda fun finding both the flight feathers and the under fluff untill you have all the types that combine to make a pretty clip.

8. hermiesbirdies

hermiesbirdies Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2009
    check out fishing stores. if there are people who tie flys in your area. they would like them, if you are crafty then making necklaces and hair clips is a great ieda.

save them and make your own feather pillow, just take off the worst of the quills

9. harldane

Mar 23, 2008
    Sunny So. California
    Ohhh, thanks for the pictures and tips! Having selected our 2 Barred Rocks mainly on their pretty black and white feathers, I'm excited that I might be able to re-purpose their feathers into other items - and I'm glad that no one laughed at my thought of reusing them - and no, you're definitely not nuts surburbanminifarm! [​IMG]

I did a little googling tonight too and found these 2 websites that have pretty hair clips (I have no affiliation with either site).

http://www.redbookmag.com/beauty-fashion/tips-advice/trendy-feather-hair-accessories

http://www.etsy.com/shop/AFarmersDaughter

Using surburbanminifarm's hair clip idea, I'm sure we'll have some beautiful clips in no time!

Thanks again!

10. suburbanminifarm

Jul 29, 2009
    N.San Diego County
    Awww you're too sweet ! Thx for the thread and yes now I see some really impressive ones on Etsy........... I will have to try the thin headband with accent of feathers now also! But don't you think that it is far more special to make art out of one's OWN pets feathers than to just buy from a stranger? I like knowing which chickie contributed to the project. Your barred rocks will make beautiful clips! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by