Reusing shipping boxes?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by anac1979, Nov 14, 2014.

1. anac1979

anac1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    FL
    Hi! Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but i couldn't find any similar threads anywhere. I was wondering what everyone's thoughts on reusing shipping boxes is? Do you think reusing shipping boxes is ok? Why or why not? Thanks in advance.

2. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    Assuming you are talking baby chicks, it is fine. I use large carboard box as brooder in the house. By 5 to 7 week-old, they will be ready to go to the grow-up coop outside. The cardboard box goes to recycle.

3. anac1979

Feb 18, 2010
    FL
    Thanks for the reply. I was actually talking about large fowl. I thought since the boxes are so expensive, one could reuse them, if they are in good shape.

4. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    I use http://www,boxesforbirds.com shipping boxes for my large fowl Light Sussex. they are explicit they are reusable. You can even buy new filters for the holes in the box. Use an extra piece of cardboard in the bottom when you ship so any poop doesn't stain the bottom of the box. I have one 16 bird box with a stained bottom. I know the birds shipped in it were healthy. So when I reuse it, I will just put a fresh layer of cardboard on the bottom because I didn't the first time. Lesson learned, smile. B4B are wonderful folk. So expert in shipping. I always have them advise me for any questions that might arise.
    Best,
    Karen

5. anac1979

Feb 18, 2010
    FL
    Thanks for the tip. I will look at their site. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by