Revamped my hen house today-

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by farmgirljen, Apr 11, 2009.

1. farmgirljen

farmgirljen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2008
    Corvallis Oregon
    My girls went from a 8X10 inside space to a 10X24 with an additional 6X10 space off to one side where the roosts are at- They are so happy with their new digs- except I had to physically place them each on the roosts tonight..they were a bit confused about where their beds had gone. Their outside run is 10X20, plus they get to free range on our 3 acres every evening... I have 14 hens, 3 barred rock pullet chicks, and I am expecting a cackle hatchery surprise in a couple of weeks-

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I have 50 7-week olds who I turned into their new run today. I had to put them out of their coop, more than 4 sq ft per bird. They all ran back in the coop at first. But a few hours later, most were happily pecking the new grounds. The yard is about 75 x 75. They only checked out the edges of the grass and weeds in it.

I was worried about getting them back in the coop at dark but it was no problem.. I turned on a 60W bulb in the coop around 6 PM, and at dark they went toward the light in the coop.

Chickens don't like change much but will adapt with a little time. And they do like lots of room.

Lots of folks have to teach about using roosts for a while. They will catch on.

f I were you I would brood the new batch in the coop, at least after a couple of weeks or so, though separate from the older flock til their sizes are about the same.

Good luck.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:Sounds like a chicken paradise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by