Revamping a Little Giant Incubator Idea! Comments Please!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by leighhancock, Jan 1, 2010.

1. leighhancock

leighhancock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2009
    Lancaster SC
    I had an idea today while walking around Lowes with my DH.

I have 5 Little Giant Incubators. They work really well in a temp stablized room. But its not always easy to keep one room in the house "just right" for the incubators!

I found a roll of a insulation material today at Lowes. The only way for me to describe it is that it looked like a roll of silver bubble wrap! I was thinking.... What if I cut to fit....and made a "skin" for the outter side of the incubators with it??? Leaving the windows and air holes uncovered. (You could even fix a strip to velcro to itself to wrap around were the top and bottom come together to seal the crack! Wouldn't it help the insulation problem of the Little Giant's and help keep a more accurate temp inside?

The roll was fairly large... Could probably do two incubators with it and it was only $15. Maybe I should do two of them and leave two original and test the differences!

Am I dreaming? Or do you think it might work?? What are your opinions???

2. Chicken Rustler

Chicken Rustler Grabs em n runs

I have used the same kind of stuff on my little chief smokers and it worked great. They actually sell it cut to the smokers and call it a blanket. It is silver like foil on both sides and bubble wrap in the middle.
    Are you happy with your LG bators? I am looking at getting a bator and found what looks to be a LG on craigs list for $10 would ya recommend it.
    Thanks Rob

3. leighhancock

Dec 25, 2009
    Lancaster SC
    I like mine but, its really hard to keep the temp stable. I am trying to find a cost effective way to remedy that! I think the "bubble wrap insulation" might work! If it does it would be ALOT cheaper than buying a huge incubator!

4. Chicken Rustler

Chicken Rustler Grabs em n runs

I don't think ya got anything to lose trying the wrap, other than the small cost. I think it would help a lot.

5. lemurchaser

lemurchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    There are air holes at the top and bottom of it, so I don't know where you'd insulate it. It might help to cover the windows though, that's the least insulated spot. Or maybe cover it all just at night when the house temperature drops and messes up the temps. Blocking air flow would certainly keep temps better, but I wouldn't want to oxygen deprive the eggs.

6. leighhancock

Dec 25, 2009
    Lancaster SC
    Quote:Ohhh...I just about forgot about the holes in the bottom! Thank you for reminding me! Those would need to stay open. I thought about the windows too. Maybe covering half of the window or so... I like to see inside without opening. [​IMG]

7. NoVA Chicks

NoVA Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Falls Church, VA
    I got mine stabilized by sticking it inside one of my kitchen cabinets. If you don't have an empty cabinet, I'd use a large cardboard box and insulate *that* and then put the incubator inside. [​IMG]

8. leighhancock

Dec 25, 2009
    Lancaster SC
    Quote:I didn't think about that either...lol. Thats why I am loving BYC!!! So many ideas!!

But I have five incubators... I would have to throw all my dishes in the yard! HA! [​IMG]

But that is a awesome idea! I wish I had the room to do that!

9. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Quote:I didn't think about that either...lol. Thats why I am loving BYC!!! So many ideas!!

But I have five incubators... I would have to throw all my dishes in the yard! HA! [​IMG]

But that is a awesome idea! I wish I had the room to do that!

i was about to say the same thing... make a box that could fit over the incubator....

in fact, if you built a frame with a lightweight plywood "top" and then line 3" at the "top" of each side with the same lightweight wood,
    maybe even a balsa wood?? then the rest of the framework sides get covered with harware cloth.. ad your velcro to the frame and to you insulation... velcro the insulation to the frame for incubation, unvelcro it and flip it over and it's a starter brooder.... ????
    just an idea....

10. leighhancock

Dec 25, 2009
    Lancaster SC
    I have a old wood toy box that two of the incubators would sit down in perfectly. Maybe lining it with the insulation material.....hummm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by