Reverse the Introduction of hens to pullets

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Dtrain28, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Dtrain28

Dtrain28 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    I had a question.... I have two hens that are a year old and 3 pullets that are 8 weeks... I have been introducing the pullets daily this week supervised with minimum incidents ( a little posturing and pecking from my older Orp)

My question is, should I take the hens out of their coop and put the 3 pullets in their place? The older hens would live in another cage for a week or two and then be re-introduced to their old coop......

Does this make sense or is it too stressfull on my older hens?

2. Bravo

Bravo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    CA
    Chickens can be territorial so if you place the new brood in the coop too soon you may start a turf war.

I integrate my flocks of different ages by having an interim run where I keep the new, younger birds locked in for a minimum of 1 week so they can see each other side by side. Then I gradually let both parties out to free range together under timed, supervised visits. After a week of that everyone is acclimated and can range together although they still roost in their segregated pens. After that I start slowly moving the younger birds in with the adults at night until I close off the interim pen all together.

The process takes about 4 weeks but I've never had a bird hurt this way and the stress on both age groups is substantially reduced by the gradual introduction.

3. Bravo

Aug 24, 2009
    CA
    Forgot to say,

what I explained above is similar to what you proposed only the younger pullets would be in the dog cage (although it would be best of you hooked 2 really big dog cages (48") together as their run. One would be too small.

4. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Actually, I did basically what the OP suggests, and it seemed to do the trick. When I put the pullets in the run, the original hens were awful to them, really beating them up, literally. So, I caged the original hens in a small dog kennel inside the run for 3-4 days and let the pullets have the run of it. Seemed to give the older birds a bit of attitude adjustment. When I put them all together again, a couple of minor scuffles the first day, then peace reigned again.

5. Dtrain28

Dtrain28 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    Thanks for the info....The Coop is not a huge coop 3 ft tall by 4 ft wide x 8 ft long......it's going to be tough to put a cage "in " the coop....what about a larger cage next to the coop? or does that defeat the purpose

6. Bravo

Aug 24, 2009
    CA
    Quote:Next to the coop [​IMG] The goal is to let them see each other without having a chance for the younger ones to get picked on.

Best of luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by