1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Review my hatching plan?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chelseajgoss, Oct 8, 2016.

1. chelseajgoss

chelseajgoss Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    Hey guys! So this is my first time incubating my own chicks. Usually we let the hens do it, but i think we had a snake problem this time and someone was stealing all the eggs. Right now i have 14 eggs in my coolerbator. Temp has been between 100 and 102 (still air) with occasional very breif spikes to 104. I check on them every hour at night just in case. My humidity has been around 30 to 35% for most the hatch. But here's my problem. I was so excited that i put in diffrent sets of eggs at diffrent times and didnt think aboitnthe change in humidity. So i had to build a second incubator. I just used a cardboard box since this will only be for this hatch, and then from now on i know better. I am still working on the temps for this one. I currently have a 25watt bulb in there. And its keeping it at 97 and 50 humidity... so i think i will cut my sponge up a little (its one of those huge ones for washing cars) so it has more surface area. And put in another 7.5 watt light bulb, and then i will poke some holes in to stabilize temp, and allow fresh air for the chicks because i know they need extra.
    Originally i put 2 eggs due on the 14th. 1 was infertile. So i have 1 due on the 14th. And then i have one due on the 18th. 5 due on the 21st. And 7 due on the 24th (3 of which im pretty sure are infertile but i will leave for now)

So what i am going to do is stop turning my first egg on day 17. Put in the hatcher bator on day 18 with humidity at 75. ( i plan on being hands on if i need to, like if the egg rolls over or the chick starts having problems, but will leave it alone otherwise) and temp hopefully at about 100 to 102.

After it hatches, im going to take the sponge out and let him dry, then transfer to the brooder box, where i have lights, but i think i am going to use a heating pad cave instead.

And continue until all the chicks are hatched.

Does this sound like an okay plan? Its my first time incubating my own, and i read all these horror stories if people not having any hatch their first few times.

Let me know what you think!

[​IMG]
    Original incubator

[​IMG]
    1 time cardboard incubator.

On a positive note, yesterday was day 14 for my first egg. I candled, and i hadnt been ablento see anything for so long since its such a dark shell. But last night i was almosr in tears it was so beautiful! The baby moving around and kicking. It just melted my heart. ( my boyfriend is so excited too. He goes in to check the temp all the time. And wants to make sure they are okay!) I have grown so attached to this first egg, so i really hope it's not a rooster. Cuz then its dinner xD

Also. After they hatch, i got tiny colored zip ties for their legs so i know who is what breed and boy vs girl. I am going to do it very loosely so i can cut off after i learn who everyone is. This is safe right?

Sorry for the long post. Jist trying to be thorough!

2. AustralorpsAU

AustralorpsAU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  3. n8ivetxn

n8ivetxn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    I'm all for ya! But, I'd be terribly stressed trying to do a staggered hatch.... I just started my 2nd ever incubation (we usually have broodies too, lol!) One hatch at a time is enough for me [​IMG].... My BF is the same way - he's all excited about the eggs!

I think I might join the October HAL [​IMG] ......hopefully at the end I have something to talk about, lol!

4. chelseajgoss

Sep 18, 2016
    Tucson, AZ

Lol i know i totally didnt think it through. But i can stay home with them all the time. So im not too worried if i have a few sleepless nights haha.
    I hipe your hatch goes good!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  5. chelseajgoss

Sep 18, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    [​IMG]

Does anyone know if this is a blood ring? I thought they usually gow the other way around the egg.. but i havent seen this one move all day today. All the others are swimming around and this one seems a little sunken down and i cant even see the eye. Just barely the outline of the shadow. I checked it before bed last night and it was fine. Woke up this morning and turned them and did a quick candle of a couple to show my sister and noticed he wasnt right. I figure hes dead and will leave it until day 14. ( its on day 8 going onto 9 right now) unless thisnis a blood ring and is for sure gone. Then i will take out.

6. n8ivetxn

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    That's interesting.... I haven't seen one vertical like that.... I think you're right tho, but wait, just in case!

7. chelseajgoss

Sep 18, 2016
    Tucson, AZ

Yeah i thought it was weird too. I will wait a few days at least and let you know for sure!

8. n8ivetxn

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    I almost did the same - just got a little too excited looking at ebay! [​IMG] However, I do have a partial bator I took apart, so I could probably thro it back together in a pinch..... I'm at home too, I have no schedule, so I just sleep when I can!

Thank you, you as well! I hope I get something this time [​IMG]!

1 person likes this.
  9. n8ivetxn

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    Yes! Please keep us posted [​IMG]

I hate ebay! [​IMG] I remember when I didn't know anything about it (not too long ago!) and now I'm constantly watching for eggs! [​IMG]

10. chelseajgoss

Sep 18, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    I want eggs from ebay so bad. It's hard to find any real good breeds here. I recently go ameraucana eggs from a breeder. But im worried they might just be easter eggers. I mean theyre blue. But so light they almost look white. So i want some darker ones. Hopefully when they hatch, i can post pics and others might be able to tell what they are.
    But i wanted to wait until i do a few hatches before i get shipped eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by