Review this 'bator for me: Brower Top Hatch Incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Epona142, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Epona142

Epona142 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    Bedias, TX
    I'd love some up to date reviews on this incubator. I have a LG and had a pretty successful hatch in it, but I plan on hatching more and more often and am looking for something a little more sturdy than the LG.

I would LOVE to have a Sportsman, but until I come across a used one locally for a good price, not happening.

http://dblrsupply.pinnaclecart.com/...or_110_volt_60_Hz_0r_220_volt_50_Hz-3-11.html

Feel free to offer suggestions on other incubators that are easy to clean, reliable, and can do chicken, quail, ducks, and possibly geese someday.

Thanks!

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I love my brower top hatch. I have pros and cons on it.

Pros - I had a great hatch rate. Stable temps and humidity. Large viewing top.

Cons - motor is annoying and light flashes alot.

It uses a 60 watt candelabra bulb for heat. It has a built in turner and fan. Its also dishwasher safe and made of plastic NOT styrofoam.

3. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    I also love the Top Hatch. I currently use a TX-6. I sold the Top Hatch when I upgraded. I have kicked myself so many times for doing that. It hatches 40+ and there are times when I need to hatch more than the 16 bantam eggs in the TX-6. I started with the HovaBator Still air like so many and it was not a happy experience. I upgraded to the Top Hatch and I really like the unit but had been reading about the reliability of the TX-6 and found on used on Ebay and bought it.

The Top Hatch is a bit on the noisy side and the flashing light could be annoying if you don't have a place to put it. I had mine in the closet of the extra bedroom. It works very well if you have a stable temperature in the room. I don't have central heat in my house so I use a bubble wrap jacket on the tub. Many have made nice quilted cozies for theirs. I love the turner. It rotates the tub and the eggs bump against spokes to turn. That is the same method as the TX-6. When it is time to stop turning, you just lift the tub a slight bit to take it off the wheel and that is all you need to do. You can add water through the vent on top with a straw so opening the incubator is virtually unnecessary.

I recently have had to replace my entire flock and need a new incubator and I ordered the Top Hatch but it arrived broken. I needed one desperately to hatch out the eggs I had collected from my chickens so I settled for the HovaBator forced air. I am so disappointed. I am sure I will get a fair hatch but I find it much more Awkward to use and the durability of the unit does not compare to the Top Hatch. I have read bum reviews on the Top Hatch but nothing I have read could not be simply fixed by finding a good place to put it and by making a simple jacket for the Tub.

In any incubator you get, there are times when there are just bad parts. If you get one the will not hold steady temperatures in a stable environment then you have bad parts and need to contact the manfacturer. Top Hatch people are Awesome to deal with.

Beware, the tub turns by rotating on ball bearings and they are very small. Make sure you have a screwdriver with a magnet on the end when taking it apart, those little ball bearings can get away from you and they are hard to find on carpet. Ask for a second package to be included with your unit. I have found that Cutler Supply has the best price.

4. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    JnJ is right on the last part lol. I lost all the little metal balls. I have to order 1 plug cap, ball bearings and the metal turner arms that the ball bearing turn on. My last hatch rate was around 30-40% with quail eggs. I opened up all the other eggs and they were infertile or scrambled. So far my hatching rate is great with the top hatch.

5. Feathered Wings

Feathered Wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Georgia
    I have a Brower top Hatch and i love it the turner is great and i love that it use's a light bulb.[​IMG]
    I only have one thing i don't like and thats the thermostat it can be difficult to reach and mantain a temp without repeated adjusting.[​IMG]

I have had a very good hatch rate and was overall pleased with it's performance i give it [​IMG] [​IMG]

The noise and light flickering is simple to solve with putting it in a laundry room or closet.

I Lost my tiny ball bearings so i opened a shotgun shell and used the tiny ones out of it.

I purchased mine from Cutler [​IMG]

Question on the cozie's do they help keep the temp stable and do you put that on when you start it up?? Anybody have cozy pics or instructions?? [​IMG]

6. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    http://backyardchickens.yuku.com/topic/12230

This
    is a good thread on the Top Hatch another member recently purchased. She made a great Cozy. Yes you want to put it on from the get go. It is just an added insulation. I found that if you mark your dial with nail polish or sharpie where the temperature is right at 100 and take note of the temperature in the room, you will always know where to start. The very smallest turn is enough to make a rather large difference so when adjusting the temp, you have to turn Very little. Also the temperature variance from the bottom of the tub to even two inches above the bottom is rather large. Measure temp at egg lever always. I set my thermometer on the spokes. It is very small, a Fluckers and it work really well in the Top Hatch. I do not use a water wiggler. Jenlynn do discuss how she rigged her to use the wiggler.

7. Epona142

Epona142 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    Bedias, TX
    Thanks so much! I think I will look into perhaps getting one of these later on if I don't come across a used Sportsman. (Fingers crossed!)

[​IMG]

8. kkwilk

kkwilk New Egg

May 13, 2012
    Could you please tell me something,I bought one of these used and was wandering about the turning...is it supposed to turn all the time or just once in a while,because I havent been able to get mine to turn...thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by